[J22-Fleet 1] Leech Lake Regatta

Smith, Craig A Craig.A.Smith at honeywell.com
Mon Jul 25 15:59:48 CDT 2011

Fleet #1,

I'd like to 2nd Beth's recommendation.

Leech Lake is very large, clean, and surrounded by pristine wilderness.

We camp out near the boat, and there's hot showers, flush toilets, and a
full kitchen.
There'll be music, singing 'round the campfire, Walker Days celebration
and the church fish-fry.

Registration is still only $75 (goes up to $100 on Aug 6) which includes
3 days of racing and 2 tickets to the Awards Banquet.
A J22 has won 1st place overall (PHRF-Portsmouth handicapping) the past
two years so, if you don't come up, you'll be leaving the glory to
Supper Lulu Puppy or Parrrley.

Links to registration, NOR, crane info and more available at
http://www.shoresofleechlake.com/regatta.htm

Lake levels are near record high
http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/projects/Leech.shtml

but see the free map with 5 foot contours from
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/data/lakemaps/b0050011.pdf

Hope to see you there.

PS
Be sure to leave any zebra larva behind.  I sponge the boat dry and
spray 10:1 water/bleach solution.  Be sure to squirt some into the
cockpit scuppers.  Each pleat of the flex tubes connecting them to the
transom can harbor a teaspoon of lake water - plenty to harbor
microscopic larva (thanks to Dallas for pointing this out).