[J22-Fleet 1] 2011 Season Notes

Thorn Turner jtturner12 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 21:18:55 CDT 2011

Fleet 1,

First thanks to everyone who participated in this year's Dave Cool Icebreaker
regatta.  We got four good races off on Saturday but strong, gusty winds, air
temps in the 30's and water temps in the low 40's were too much even for this
crowd.  Congrats to team 865 on an impressive victory and to John Klick as this
year's "Spirit of Dave" award winner for all of his contributions (ok mostly rum
and beer) over the years.  We have him to thank for the keg of Heineken and
t-shirts that generated almost $300 in sales this past weekend alone.

If you haven't yet paid your Fleet dues please do so now.  They've been lowered
to $50.  There is a PayPal link at http://wyc.org/j22/ShoppingCart.aspx, or you
can mail me a check (payable to "J-22 Fleet 1") at 6175 Deer Ridge, Shorewood,
55331.  I will be naming names before too long.  Join the USA J-22 class while
you're at it, http://www.usaj22.com/index.php/class-office/join-the-class.

For the coming season there are a few important items coming out of the Fleet
Captain's meeting last Wednesday.  Please read and heed the notes below.

First and foremost, this is a very important year for both WYC and the Sailing
Center in terms of relations with the city, county, and probably a few other
government agencies I'm not even aware of.  The Sailing Center is trying to get
a Conditional Use Permit, or CUP, approved, which allows them to operate.  There
is also some major construction coming along County Rd. 16 and the intersection
with 101, which could have a major impact on our East lot.

To help this process along, we need to be GOOD NEIGHBORS in all of our
operations.  For most of you this means PARKING.  Do NOT park on any city
streets or in the Sailing Center, if the lots are full.  Use the Wayzata Bay
Center and walk or take the shuttle that will be running on race nights.

Please note here the Sailing Center restriction is due to their not having a
city permit to park there, NOT any actions on their part.  Please continue to
support it, join it, and contribute.  They need it.

Second - we are one of the largest, the most competitive, and therefore most
visible fleets in the club.  For that reason, among others, 1. pay your dues, 2.
have your crew join the club.  3.  Respect the "start box" (see SI's).  It will
probably take two weeks for processing to be scored if you haven't paid
everything by this weekend.  Crew membership is required for anyone sailing more
than 3-4 races per year even though we don't do a good job of enforcing it.  At
$95 / year it's a ridiculously good deal.

There was a fair amount of discussion about charter boats and right-of-way.
This is particularly a problem on Thursday nights when the whole club is heading
out at the same time they're going to the Wayzata City docks for their 6:00 pm
pickups.  We don't need to get into the finer points of right-of-way, just use
common sense.  They're fairly restricted in their ability to maneuver so stay
out of their way, and PASS ASTERN if it's even remotely close (this is sometimes
referred to as the "law of gross tonnage.")  They're good about staying out of
our race course, and this is another constituency we don't want opposed to any
of our plans.

For anyone interested, Blake usually has 2-3 spots open for people to come out
on Jurisprudence or Bailiff.  All he asks is that they bring a lifejacket if
they have one, and preferably contact him in advance (myc at aol.com).  However,
even if they don't he still usually has room.  This is a great way to introduce
people to the sport and also to race management.

That's about it for now.  I'll send a separate note about other upcoming events
and the A Series party, which we're hosting, on June 12.  Good luck to all this
summer.

Thorn