[J22-Fleet 1] Waterline Technicle Bulliton

Hansen Lars Lars at larshansenphoto.com
Wed May 11 14:23:38 CDT 2011

Hi There,

Rich, Thanks for the heads up on the keel bolt torque numbers.
As I recall my old boat had two different sizes of keel bolts.  Not
sure the exact sizes. I used to use an old tire iron to tighten my
keel bolts. I did not know the numbers I just made sure they were
tight. If I understand your last post I think you are saying "torque
to half of the numbers on that chart"?

I should have included a little more information when I copied and
sent the Waterline Technical Bulletin to everyone.

As I understand it a J22 fell from the hoist in Annapolis during the
NOOD regatta the same weekend as the Cool. I do not have any solid
information only rumors. I think the boat was the old style where the
lifting eye is attached to only one bolt.
If your boat has not been upgraded to a two bolt lift point you are at
a greater risk of having a catastrophic failure. If the boat falls
from the hoist it could kill or seriously hurt someone near or under
the boat. Please update your boat to make it safe.

I have been in most of the boats in our fleet during various measuring
procedures and have seen many boats that have water in the sump all
the time. This can also lead to corrosion and keel bot failure.
Keep the water out of the sump. Pull up the floor board at least once
a year and make sure the weep holes are all clear so you can sponge
out the sump from the center hole. And  most important get a two bolt
system for you lifting point.
The life you save might be your own.
Lars
Lars Hansen Photography