[J22-Fleet 1] Vang and sheet attachment to boom

Michael Bowers msbowers55439 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 15:33:47 CDT 2016

Do not drill more holes.  This is a critical spot on the boom and more
holes are begging for a stress point/critical failure.

One windy day on the Charles river we lost about 5 Tech booms in the course
of 1 hour.  The common thread was that they had all recently been repaired
by drilling out new vang bale holes in the boom.  If only someone had done
a stress/strain analysis of the boom prior to sinking all those holes.
It's not like they couldn't have run across the street to MIT and
asked anyone in the Mech E department. ;)

The link that Peter posted has some very good suggestions.  I think the
best one is making sure you have a bolt that does not have threads
contacting the aluminum.  I'd reuse the same holes, but address whatever
issue it is that caused them to elongate in the first place.

Mike