[J22-Fleet 1] J/22 Fleet #1 News - Spring 2016 | The First J/22 Fleet in the World!

holly at veritasmarketing.com holly at veritasmarketing.com
Tue May 3 17:44:49 CDT 2016

Register <http://wyc.org/j22/CoolRegatta.aspx>  now for the ICEBREAKER <http://wyc.org/j22/CoolRegatta.aspx> . We’re trying to get a head count for food.   <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K031aNP_ESf5pssHa2D3Hi2oeTrczjh_97GyrqA5G5XC2G6Le-ztKpX1IMEz0b9fYsNOk0pD2cT3xIIBPp1C9ozNSxMP2Ejy6I8744RP7n6v47R3x-getM5Wdsk1EauTFw8tDnFHn0A=> Register Now

J/22 Fleet #1 Spring Update

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K031aNP_ESf5pssHa2D3Hi2oeTrczjh_97GyrqA5G5XC2G6Le-ztKpX1IMEz0b9fYsNOk0pD2cT3xIIBPp1C9ozNSxMP2Ejy1c9VMoUs3USvXs9PlRWs3VDpgjOpgntp>

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <http://veritasmarketing.net/WYC/J22%20Photos/Dyer.jpg>

I'd like to welcome all returning and new J/22 sailors to the 2016 season! This year promises to be exceptional, with new boats, new fleet members, several racing clinics, numerous racing opportunities and many fun social activities planned!

John Dyer, 2016, J/22 Fleet #1, fleet captain

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

Welcome New Fleet Members and Boats

We have several new members.

Paul Lague <mailto:Paul at tcamerican.com>  and Jochen Koenig <mailto:jochen.koenig at centurylink.net>  have just purchased J/22 #335. They are new to the J/22, and likely would appreciate some help with tuning and racing. We expect them to be at the Icebreaker. Click on their name to welcome them to the fleet or offer your assistance.

Jay Schultz <mailto:JSchultz at parker.com>  is also new, coming to our fleet from California in the next few weeks. He is looking for a boat to purchase, and an opportunity to learn to race the J/22. We hope to see him at the Icebreaker party. Click on his name to contact him.

Please welcome all three new fleet members when you see them.

Jane Hopkins Gould and Randy Gould are joining the J/22 fleet! They will be racing with Willie Foster on #521. We are glad to have them join us and look forward to racing with them.

Jeff Hames and Kurt Taken-Holze have purchased 1318 and have already raced it at this year's Midwinters scoring a top 10 finish. We are fortunate to have two such talented racers now own a boat in the fleet.

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

Racing Clinics

Sailors only get better when they practice. And they get even better when the practice is under the guidance of skilled racers.

June 5, Crewing Clinic
Jon Noller and Rod Komis, from J/22 #865, will be guest instructors at the Sunday, June 5 rumble. The focus will be crewing on the J/22. Jon and Rod are two of the best J/22 in the country, if not the world. Please plan on attending.

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <http://wyc.org/portals/0/Schock%20Mem%20-%20Andrew%20Kerr.JPG?ver=2014-05-03-082605-730>

June 11, 12 and 13, Team Dynamics
Andrew Kerr will offer on-land seminars, on-the-water coaching and debriefing, along with on-shore lunches and dinners. I have attended these and benefited greatly from his knowledge. You can attend in the mornings, and still catch the afternoon J/22 races. Nice.

May 7, Saturday On-the-Water Seminars
WYC is also offering on-the-water seminars for the next few Saturdays. The May 7 event is a great opportunity to practice before the Icebreaker. The club also would like our fleet to attend, so we can take a new or prospective member on a boat. You might find the crew you've always wanted.

May 17, Sail Shape and Trim
Terry Foster and Gordy Bowers are presenting a seminar on Sail Shape and Trim. Nobody knows the J/22 sail trim better than Terry, and nobody knows sail shape better than Gordy.

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K031aNP_ESf5pssHa2D3Hi2oeTrczjh_97GyrqA5G5XC2G6Le-ztKpX1IMEz0b9fYsNOk0pD2cTzIkZQYzrFVU-c3GllhqRQbjnJ15OUzyJnae8usmopfA==> Racing Schedule | May and June

Tune Up Race, Sunday, May 8

Take Mom out to breakfast, buy her some flowers and still be able to tune your boat and skills at 2 pm.

Match Racing, Monday, May 9

Meet at the club at 6 pm. Email  <mailto:jon.noller at gmail.com> Jon Noller

Thursday Races Begin, May 12

Many consider this the ultimate in WYC J/22 fleet racing. We may see 20 boats on the line this year. Last season Brent Peterson and Jeff Cameron took home their first series win in the M Series; the extended bay part of the series. Expect them to add to that this year. Gary Christensen, Chad Olness and Jon Monson, last year's overall winners, will again be competing.

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <http://veritasmarketing.net/WYC/J22%20Photos/Icebreaker-Logo.jpg>

 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K031aNP_ESf5pssHa2D3Hi2oeTrczjh_97GyrqA5G5XC2G6Le-ztKpX1IMEz0b9fYsNOk0pD2cT3xIIBPp1C9ozNSxMP2Ejy1c9VMoUs3USvXs9PlRWs3VDpgjOpgntp> Icebreaker Regatta | May 14 & 15

We not only will have many J/22s and J/24s out this year due to the warm weather, but Jill Fynboh has a great party planned for Saturday evening. We will also be raffling off two rudder covers, courtesy of North Sails, after the race, during beer and before dinner! Last year, World Champion Terry Flynn competed, This year, Kevin Kenny, just back from winning the Annapolis NOOD's with Terry will be racing his boat, Underdog. That name needs to be changed.  <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K031aNP_ESf5pssHa2D3Hi2oeTrczjh_97GyrqA5G5XC2G6Le-ztKpX1IMEz0b9fYsNOk0pD2cT3xIIBPp1C9ozNSxMP2Ejy6I8744RP7n6v47R3x-getM5Wdsk1EauTFw8tDnFHn0A=> Register Now

Combined Fleet Championship Starts May 21st

This outstanding weekend series consists of 14 races on Saturdays and Sundays in May and June. This year, race warning signals will be at 2:00 pm on both Saturday and Sunday. Come race when there is no motor boat traffic or milfoil! Last year's winners, Dave Brasch and Mikey Bowers will share the driving duties on 963 for the series this year. That's "Who's Driving" if you wondered.

WYC Championship Series Starts, Sunday, May 22

Warning signals will be at 2PM. Last year's winner, Team 810, will have Erik Ahlquist, Bob Leach and Bill Richards racing again this year, with Erik moving to full-time driver.

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

Organizational Changes

We have created a board of directors with defined duties to ensure the fleet is responsive to the needs of our members (and... doesn't burn out its fleet captains). The following people have offered their time and talent:

Treasurer - Mike Bowers
Social - Jill Fynboh
Regatta Chairs
Spring - John Dyer
Fall - Julie Neal
Fleet Judge, PRO/WYC Liaison - Kevin Kenny
Marketing - Holly Jo Anderson
J/22 US Class Liaison - Holly Jo Anderson
Fleet Development - Lars Hansen
At Large - Bob Leach
At Large - Mike Miller

Perhaps the most important job above is the social chairperson. We are very fortunate that Jill Fynboh has graciously accepted this role. Jill has always been there for the fleet for many years. She has scheduled a summer of fun activities, parties and gatherings for us. Please thank her when you see her!

Big Thanks

Finally, we all should thank Mike Bowers and Thorn Turner for all their efforts over the fast several years in helping the fleet turn the corner and make a nice comeback. They put in a ton of time on our behalf. And we have benefited greatly.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please  <mailto:dogbreath47 at gmail.com> email me. Otherwise, please come out and learn, compete and have fun!

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

J/22 Fleet #1 |  <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001K031aNP_ESf5pssHa2D3Hi2oeTrczjh_97GyrqA5G5XC2G6Le-ztKpX1IMEz0b9fYsNOk0pD2cT3xIIBPp1C9rbC49pVi1VD> wyc.org/j22

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

STAY CONNECTED:

 <https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694308787512875/>

  <https://static.ctctcdn.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

WYC | J/22 Fleet #1, 1100 Eastman Ln, Minnetonka, MN 55391

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>