[J24 ListSrv] J/24 Fleet #1 update

Dave Bennett david.j.bennett at comcast.net
Tue Apr 7 18:53:30 CDT 2009

Apparently, the first go-round of this got eaten by the listsrv monster...so
for those of you who aren't on my owner's list, here it goes again....

Howdy folks,

Looks like the ice is off the pond behind the house, so the racing season
can't be that far away.  For anyone else who's eyes go buggy trying to read
the entire WYC schedule, here's some of the highlights for the next year, as
well as a few other bits of news if you scroll down.  (disclaimer - this is
not an official schedule - check WYC.org for anything legal)

WYC Events:
Tuneup Race May 3 - Let's get everyone in the water and racing for this one
- the water's not really that cold.
Champ Series starts May 10
Sunset Series starts May 14
Big Island Series starts May 30 - We're adding a new trophy for this one
this year, since the old one ran out of space for names.  Also, Whoever has
the clock and didn't return it for the banquet (we know who you are...)
please deliver it to Tim O. as its rightful keeper for this year.  This is
also a fabulous opportunity to let your crew take the helm for a race - no
oncoming traffic, simple sets/douses, etc.
J/24 Great Lakes Regional Champ TBD - Due to some insurmountable scheduling
issues, this will not be held here in May as you may have heard rumours of.
We're looking into alternative dates now.
ADA Regatta June 13-14
Women's races start July 25 - Let's get some more boats out for these (We're
also replacing some missing trophies in this area.)  If you know of a gal
looking to helm a boat, or a boat willing to host a guest skipper for these
events, let me know and I'll try to get you matched up.
WYC Fall Regatta Sept. 26-27
Burton Cup Aug. 22
U-Gotta Oct 3-4
Commodore Cup Series starts Oct. 3 (10/3 is NOT an official race for the
J/24 fleet due to U-gotta - we're hoping to avoid any confusion that
occurred with some series and regattas last year)
Frostbite Cup Oct. 10 - For those of you who haven't seen it, the trophy for
this one is a very lovely J/24 half-hull plaque - keep the boat in the water
and try your hand at taking it home.

Other Events:
2009 J/24 Worlds April 30-May 8 Annapolis, MD - Our local boats Oz and Zoom
are headed out for this one - wish 'em luck!
Chicago NOOD  June 19-21
Bayfield Race Week Jun 29-Jul 3 In the past, we have had a J/24 one-design
fleet for Bayfield Race Week, and we'd like to do it again.  Please contact
me if you have any questions, or if you're interested in taking your boat up
to the big lake.  This is a fabulous event for team bonding.  I think they
also have rum there...but my recollection's a bit fuzzy.
Sheridan Shores Race Weekend Wilmette (Chicago), IL  - End of July - TBD.
We're still working with these folks to finalize the dates, but we'll keep
you posted.  We're trying to set up 2 Chicago events on consecutive weekends
so you can hit 2 regattas and only tow/setup the boat once.
District 15 Championship - week after Sheridan Shores? Chicago, IL - TBD.
2009 J/24 Nationals Sept/23-27 San Francisco
2010 Midwinters January Tampa

J/24 Fleet 1 Social Calendar
Tina Heidelberger has volunteered to be the cruise director for our 2009
social season which will be kicking off shortly.  Lend her a hand if she
asks for help with an event.

New Addition to the Fleet
I'd like everyone to extend a warm welcome to Bryan Wutzke and his boat
Maybe (USA 3801) that will be joining us this year.  He's had his boat in
the workshop for most of the last year, so should be coming out of the
blocks fast.

Know a future owner?
There are a couple of nice boats for sale in the area - if anyone knows
anyone thinking about getting into a J/24, bring 'em around and introduce
them to the fleet - then we can put the hard sell on them to dive in and
join us.

A quick note on Traffic
Last year, we had multiple complaints about boats in our fleet interfering
with other races on the way back to the club.  Please show a bit of courtesy
to others still racing and give 'em a wide berth.

 <mailto:'j24 at lists.wyc.org'>