[J24 ListSrv] U-Gotta Regatta Update

Terry Foster terry at fostercomputerconsulting.com
Thu Sep 26 14:59:07 CDT 2019

Hi Everyone,

For those that attended, we had great weather for the All J Boat Rumble.

The All J Rumble  was intended to be a “proof of Concept” on how to run an event with J22’s, J24’s and J/70’s  prior to the U-Gotta.  Race committee costs are one of the larger budget items and being able to do more with less is very important.

The feedback I’ve heard is there is some negativity around the trapezoid course.

I need everyone to understand, we are trying something new.  We are trying to do more with the same staff.  We haven’t done a trapezoid course for a regatta.  Was it a success or failure, some say fail, others say it was fine.

So what is the solution?

We are going to run two separate race courses like we do for the M series in the bay with two starting areas and to finishing areas.  J24’s and J22's on course #1 and J/70’s on course #2

We are very fortunate that we have both the Boats and the Staff to run this and the Commodore Cup at the same time.

The J/70 fleet is very thankful to be invited to the U-Gotta Regatta hosted by the J/24 fleet.  One of the fleet members said he will foot the bill for the additional race committee expense to run a two race course event.  So there will be NO additional race committee cost to the U-Gotta.

We do need 3 race committee volunteers.  This has been standard practice for many years.  The regatta committee provides one volunteer per race committee boat.  We need three volunteers to help run U-Gotta.

I’m looking forward to a great event.  We’ll see everyone out there.

Terry Foster
RC Chair