[J24 ListSrv] WYC - Update

Andy Spence-Parsons andy.spence-parsons at comcast.net
Sat Apr 18 12:26:46 CDT 2020

As I’m sure you all know, Governor Walz yesterday released Executive Order 20-38, (available here: https://www.leg.state.mn.us/archive/execorders/20-38.pdf <https://www.leg.state.mn.us/archive/execorders/20-38.pdf>), which modifies some of the previous stay-at-home orders.

Most importantly it clarifies some of the outdoor activities, specifically boating. It allows “docks that provide storage, docking, and mooring services to slip owners or seasonal renters,” to open. However, it is also explicit that any activity MUST be in accordance with the Outdoor Recreation Guidelines, <https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/aboutdnr/covid-19-outdoor-recreation-guidelines.html> including maintaining at least six feet of separation between participants from different households.

The Board met this morning. While the language in the EO is somewhat ambiguous, we believe the EO gives us the ability to open the docks. However, the social distance requirements make it difficult if not impossible for most of us to rig, launch, moor or sail and be even close to compliant. This would be very visible to the authorities, general public and anyone with a camera phone. Failure to comply with the social distancing requirements would put club in direct conflict with the EO. The club takes this very seriously, and would consider the revocation of membership as an appropriate sanction for non-compliance.

There’s also the question of what we should do given the serious nature of the virus and potential risks to the club. Given that, we’re going to confirm with the City and Hennepin County Water Patrol that we can do this, and take a day or two to develop common-sense policies that balance the risks and rewards for all. Look for a follow-up announcement early next week. In the meantime, the club building, docks, parking lot, patio, and crane remain closed. Period.

We hope to be able to open the docks (but not the club building, patio, crane or gin pole) by mid-week. If that happens, it will allow you to moor your boat in your assigned slip and use it only with members of your household. Neither the crane nor the gin pole will be available until after the pre-season inspection and commissioning. Please do not attempt to launch or moor your boat until you receive a subsequent announcement.

We understand your desire to get out and sail – we all want to - but it is still only mid-April and we need to do the right thing not only for you individually but the general membership and public as well. It would only take one member or one incident here to have serious repercussions for the club and everyone involved.

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and cooperation. Look for a follow-up next week.

Andy Spence-Parsons
Commodore | Wayzata Yacht Club
commodore at wyc.org
763.360.8587