[Phrf] SI's for next year?

Clay Babcock clay.babcock at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 10:11:04 CST 2018

Some thoughts:

Starting PHRF earlier in evening races would help greatly because handicap
fleets are MUCH more susceptible to fading breeze. Finish a leg behind in a
OD race, then you deserve the fading breeze that costs you time. But in
PHRF you might be ahead on handicap when the fade starts, but lose to a
faster on-the-water boat that crossed in good breeze. Earlier starts do
mean that many of the PHRF boats will be run up on by the OD boats, and
this can cause anxiety at marks where some are not used to the level of
drama. But at the end of the day it's a 'rules thing' and if you know the
rules and enforce your rights everything usually works out fine. Maybe try
with PHRF first as a test?

Always in favor of longer races, in particular on weekends. On evening
races thats better too, I'd rather see a 5 leg W/L than a RT 1 1/3. The
reaching legs pull all tactical opportunity out of the downwinds, just to
make the short course marginally longer.. Just be sure to shorten if
needed! It's a crappy feeling ghosting across in the line in 3 knots of
breeze when the S27.9s (and the J/27s!!!!) finished in 6+.

On weekends the BOGO two race format was great; lets keep/expand that.

OMs are fine for PHRF 2 boats that don't go DDW wind well.

thats all for now - Clay