[Sonar]Sonar Clinic May 9-10

rainaldi rainaldi at prodigy.net
Thu May 1 13:51:10 CDT 2003

At the Fleet 5 business meeting of Sunday, April 27, members voted to charge
owners $20 per boat to participate in the May 9-11 racing clinic. (The
balance of expenses will be taken from the treasury.) It was also decided
that any active Sonar crew could attend for free.

Steve and Melissa Shepstone have been racing very successfully in regional
and national Sonar regattas the past 6-7 years, beating Fleet 5 competition
handily along the way. While Fleet 5 certainly has its own expertise, mixing
it up with an outsider on our home surf brings an additional perspective. As
this clinic idea has evolved, several of us have asked why we have never
done something formal with just the Sonars before. If this is successful,
perhaps an annual clinic is in our future ... utilizing our own Fleet 5
experts.

Friday, May 9, Sonar racers are invited to the Rainaldis' townhome
association's clubhouse for a "chalktalk" about racing strategies, beginning
at 7:30 p.m. The clubhouse address is 6071 Blake Ridge Road, Edina
(Crosstown to Gleason, which curves to become Vernon; north 1 mile on
Gleason/Vernon; just past the second light is a right-turn entry to Blake
Ridge Townhomes; clubhouse is halfway down the street on the right.)

This is intended as a "bring your own beverage and your own munchies" casual
discussion of tactics.

Saturday, May 10, following the WYC on-the-water training session
(@1:00-1:30), we'll continue with Sonar on-the-water practice. Becca
Lundberg is providing her Maxum speedboat for Steve Shepstone to give
on-the-water critiques via bull horn. Mike Andert will also be on the Maxum
to video tape sail sets and crew work.

Following the on-the-water session, everyone is invited back to WYC to 1)
watch the video tape, 2) debrief & critique, and 3) have a sandwich and
salad. (Food will be provided, but please bring your own beverage again.)

Finally, on Sunday, May 11, one boat can have Steve and one Melissa, for the
first race of the season. (This will have been decided, via a drawing, on
Friday night.)

If you have any questions, call Becca, JR, Frank or CJ. When we learned in
February, racing at St. Petersburg, that Steve and Melissa presented clinics
for fleets in other states and that they were interested in checking out
Lake Minnetonka, we asked a few other boat owners if they would be
interested in splitting the minimal cost. This week-end is what has evolved.