[Sonar] Keel fairing

Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com
Tue Nov 1 08:33:27 CST 2005

Many people use autobody filler in error for fairing non-ferrous surfaces.
    Autobody filler doesn't work for the reasons that you are now seeing.
Its not designed to adhere to non-ferrous surfaces.

The best way to do this is to approach it with the Interlux or West System
epoxy.      You'll need to remove the filler,  even the non-loose stuff
and then put a vapor barrier (ideally) on the surface of the whole keel
plus up into the deadwood (outside of keel sump) where you'll undoubtedly
have some stress cracks.     After that the West System microballon filler
(411) is my epoxy of choice but that's just because I have more experience
with it than Interlux.   A very thin layer of pure West epoxy rolled on
with a special roller  (don't use a latex paint roller) will really finish
it up nicely before bottom paint.

I personally don't worry about fairing beyond visual too much but I do use
long boards when sanding which tends to reduce localized fairing mistakes.

Give me a call sometime and I'll come take a look and see what's going on
and can give you some advice if your still looking for it.

Thomas Brown

markkoch <markoch at gmail.com>
Sent by: sonar-bounces at lists.wyc.org
10/31/2005 08:42 PM
Please respond to
markoch at gmail.com

sonar <sonar at lists.wyc.org>
cc

Subject
[Sonar] Keel fairing

I was not planning on fooling with my keel, but now that it is on the
trailer I see that there are some areas of blistering where the fairing
compound has pulled away from the lead.  I popped a few of them and
there was water behind.  The material on the keel seems like auto body
filler.  Kind of plasticy with some flexibility.  Some places it is very
thin and other places one or two sixteenths inches thick.

I hate to remove it all because then I have no reference points to level
back too.  But if I leave the sound areas alone, they might blister next
year.

Only the lead portion of the hull has this problem--not the fiberglass
hull itself.  One side of the keel is fine--the other about 15-20%
blistered or loose.

What should I use for filler?  Epoxy with microballoons or some sort of
autobody stuff like it has now?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark

Liberty.

----------------------------
Important news about email communications:

If our business rules identify sensitive information, you will receive a ZixMail Secure Message with a link to view your message. First-time recipients will be asked to create a password before they are granted access. To learn more about ZixMail, ZixCorp Secure Email Message Center, and other ZixCorp offerings, please go to http://userawareness.zixcorp.com/secure4/index.php
----------------------------

The information contained in this communication may be confidential,
and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly
please return it to the sender immediately and delete the original
message and any copy of it from your computer system. If you have
any questions concerning this message, please contact the sender.

Unencrypted, unauthenticated Internet e-mail is inherently insecure.
Internet messages may be corrupted or incomplete, or may incorrectly
identify the sender.