[Sonar] Water in Rudder question

Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com
Mon Nov 7 08:23:33 CST 2005

I don't think there is any foam in the old rudders.   They're not wide
enough for it to be structurally viable.  I could be wrong of course. I've
drilled 6 3 foot long holes lengthwise down my rudder and have only gotten
powdered resin dispersement that smells like polyester resin that was
popular at that time.   The drill bit had equal resistance all the way
down to the bottom.  No water,  absolutely dry.

>From seeing broken C&C 24 - 30 rudders,   I didn't see any foam.   Didn't
start seeing foam until lengths of 35'  and above.     Of course,   the
newer rudders may be altogether different.   I'm talking about the circa
1980 rudders.

However,   I can see that the rudder tube could be a place where water
would collect.   My rudder was filled all the way to the top with
polyester resin and it was dry when drilled with a 3 foot hole down the
center.     I suspect that some rudders would be hollow and would collect
water.

I'll fill these holes with a blow in waterproof foam and cap them with
epoxy next spring.     The top of the rudder is also uneven and rough
which I'll fair smooth.   I suspect that  many rudders need this fairing.

In any event,   I've got my rudder off and sitting upside down in front of
the fireplace for all winter.   From what I've done to it already,   I'm
pretty sure it is positively bouyant at this time.

Of course,  Stash would also know about these methods and would be able to
do them also.

Thomas Brown

"Ernest Brody" <epbrody at earthlink.net>
Sent by: sonar-bounces at lists.wyc.org
11/06/2005 09:11 PM

<markoch at gmail.com>
cc
sonar at lists.wyc.org
Subject
RE: [Sonar] Water in Rudder question

I think he drilled a hole and drained it over the winter.  Then he sealed
the hole and sealed around the post.  I don't think I have any other
cracks
but I know that it is a two piece shell construction.  I think that yours
has foam inside.  I don't know what to do if that foam is soaked.

epb