[Sonar] Fw: Another question about Sonar sailing equipment rules

Andert, Christopher M christopher.m.andert at lmco.com
Wed Oct 5 09:24:41 CDT 2005

I'd recommend the MicroCompass.  The wind in the Midwest is too shifty
to utilize the RaceMaster.  That compass is designed for offshore
sailing.

I use a MicroCompass all the time for scow racing.  And I believe
Zataway has one rigged for her boat.  Not sure who else is using it.

More importantly, a RaceMaster is $900, and the Micro is $450.  Save the
money and spend a little time before each race going upwind.  Record
heading ranges from each tack, and then write them down on a piece of
duck-tape stuck to the hull.  That can be your reference for the rest of
the race.

Chris