[Sonar] Paralympic Team Captain Hook at Newport

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Wed Oct 18 21:38:31 CDT 2006

Hi All,
We are back from "The Paralympic Pre-Trial Regatta" in Newport.  We
were 3rd and feel we had a great regatta.  The new Sonar (#757),
Captain Hook, was a rocket ship.  When we had the sail trim and rig
right, we were faster than the first and second place boats.  We led
them in many races and crosses, then messed up tacks, pole sets,
jibes, and had technical boat issues.  All these will be corrected
with practice.  Our brand new team had only a few hours of practice
before the regatta.

The first day we showed boat speed, but had many issues and were 10
to 25 boat-lengths back at the finishes.  The second day we were 1st
to the windward mark, had great boat speed, again issues, and were
passed on the last down wind (jibed too slow) and once were
overlapped at the finish.  We were in the hunt.  The last day, the
last race, we were 2nd 5-8 boat-lengths ahead of 3rd and caught
the1st place boat at the finish from 8 boat lengths back at the
windward mark.  We finished just 3 ft behind the first place
boat.  We were better each day.  We are extremely excited about our
prospects!  Take a look at the races on <http://<kattack.com>/><kattack.com>

We are having an information meeting on Saturday at the WYC after the
last Commodore Cup Race.  We will have pictures from Newport and
Kattack showing the Newport races on the wall.  Stop by and see what's up.

Regards,
Bert