[Sonar] Captain Hook Training At WYC

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Fri Apr 6 19:46:34 UTC 2007

Hi Sonar Sailors,

I was hoping to make the Fleet Party and personally present this
plan.  I have asked Tom Brown to do it in my absence.

Team Captain Hook is training at WYC for one week each of the months
of May, June and July.  SEE SCHEDULE BELOW.  We want any and all WYC
Sonars sailors to come train with/against us.  We will share all the
boat speed info we have developed during the 60 days of coaching we
have had with Betsy Alison and Gordy Bowers, plus the boat handling
and tacts. We will have a number of drills set up for 2-3-4 boats as
well as up and down wind boat speed tuning.  On the weekday training
days, we understand that many people find it difficult to take off
from work, but we want as many as possible to do so and maybe some
would meet at the WYC at 4 pm to train with us 4 to 8.  We could also
set up a Saturday morning of shore coaching for an hour and then
drills in Wayzata Bay for 3-4 hours and then lunch.

We will also race the Thurs and Sunday races when the team is
here.  I promise, if you participate you will get better and faster.

In addition, I have this idea.  If we can get buy in by the top 3-4
Sonars from 2006 and the rest of fleet #5, to race the 3 Thurs and 3
Sun as a Paralympic Series,  our team will give really nice Trophies
for the 6 race series for positions 1-2-3.  The rules for the
Paralympic Series are:
    * The 3-4 top Sonars and Captain Hook must sail with 3 crew and
without spinnakers.
    * If we get 6 races there will be one throw-our.  5 races, count them all.
    * The fleet decide who those 3-4 boats are, and if you want to
add a 4th, that's ok with me.
    * Our Team will supply and Ernie will install the auto launch
wisker poles for any boat that wants them.  Actually spinnaker poles
work (almost as well) in lieu of the auto-launch wisker pole, but
require an able body to go on deck, which the disabled teams don't
have, and they don't jibe as quickly.
    * the rest of the Sonars can race any way they want, 2-3-4 crew
and spinnakers.
It is probably true that some of the spinnaker boats may beat the
wisker pole boats and I think that would be good for the fleet.  The
fleet can decide if they want the 6 Paralympic Races to count in the
G and T Series or not count.

Here is our schedule for training at WYC.

May Training at WYC
May 15 Tues             Crew arrives maybe in time for 7pm WYC
seminar on Sail Shape and Trim.
May 16-19, Wed-Sat      Training with other Sonars.  Thurs WYC 1stG
race 6:15 against Fleet #5.  Sat morning,
spinnaker                         training 8am and Graduation Cup race
May 20, Sun             1:30p Wayzata Yacht Club Race.

June training & American Diabetes Regatta at WYC
June 7, Thurs           Crew fly in.
June 8, Fri             Training at WYC. Thurs WYC 2nd G race 6:15
against Fleet #5
June 9-10, Sat-Sun      Race ADA Regatta.
June 11-17,Mon-Sun      2-boat training through Sunday June
17th.  Race WYC Thurs and Sun against Fleet #5

July training at WYC
July 17, Tues           Crew fly in.
July 18-22, Wed-Sun     2-boat train.  Race WYC Thursday and Sunday

Regards,
Bert Foster, Skipper
Paralympic Team Captain Hook
19150 Park Ave
Wayzata, MN 55391
h 952-473-2240
w 952-544-1100
c 612-281-9999

PS:  Today, Sesame Street was sold to a new sailor and will stay at
the WYC.  Ernie will continue to partner with the new owners.  When
my Paralympic Team is in for training, Captain Hook will be on Scott
Brigham's lift.  When the team leaves , we will put the boat on the
trailer, mast up, and wait for the team to return.  This means I
won't have a ride for each 3 week period when Captain Hook is on the
hard.  I will be available to helm other people's boats in the races
on Thursday and Sunday.  If you are interested, let me know.