[Sonar] Fwd: Sonars for the 2008 Richardson in Wayzata???

tbrown9163 at comcast.net tbrown9163 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 22 18:43:22 UTC 2007

Bert et. al.:

I was with part of the WYC fleet contingency that went to Galveston to the Kirby TR event.

The sails that we used for that were specially designed for TR or match racing events.   They were of a lower plasticity dacron of heavier weight  (cruising style sails).    The main does not have the typical shelf pocket foot arrangement.   The jib was flatter and likely more akin to the FP North jib (all of the sails at the Kirby Cup were North)      The jib also had a wide colored stripe  (I call it an 'Invasion Stripe' like was used on Allied aircraft in WWII after DDay) to indicate team origin.  I also noticed that the roach was not nearly as full.

Not sure if there was an actual difference in sail area from normal racing sails or not.    A sail making expert could comment on that.

The advantage to these sails of course is that they are all identical and have few tweaky elements to them  (which in TR or match racing you don't have time to fool with anyways)

I just bring this up to let those know that are considering this (and weren't in Galveston),  that the sails purchased would be exclusive to match and TR.    They would not be usable in another context.

--
Thomas M. Brown

From: Bert Foster <Bert at apexq.com>