[Sonar] Split Traveller

Mark Kochendorfer markoch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 11:06:10 CST 2007

You can switch to 3:1 in light air by just disconnecting the end of the
sheet from the block and then putting a stopper knot in it.  In heavier air
you need a lot of strength or else put the end back for more leverage.

Kevlar works fine.  I used Amsteel.  Perhaps it will get frayed after 4-5
seasons.  Not that easy to adjust with a knot since it does not knot that
well and it the knot tends to become permanent after a while.  Its pretty
cheap for the small amount required.

While in Geneva, I saw some pretty nice setups for the cleating of the
traveler (split or not).  The one that I liked the best was a 3inch piece of
aluminum angle with the cleat on it for cleating from the opposite rail and
a second cleat on the cockpit side for same side cleating.

Let me know if you need a photo.

Mark

On 2/19/07, Henry Brantingham <hbrantingham at isp.com> wrote:

>  Sailors:
>

> I'm planning to install a split traveler system on Balderdash! this
> spring.  I have the article that Shepstone distributed during his last
> visit, so I think I pretty much know how to proceed, but I have a couple of
> questions that I though maybe you who have sailed with it already may be
> able to comment on:
>
>    1. The article recommends cutting back to a 3:1 main sheet.  Is this
>    a good idea?  Do any of you have that now?
>    2. Wire vs Kevlar:  Seems Kevlar would be easy, but I'm not sure I
>    trust it.  The article recommends it because you can adjust the length. Any
>    comments?
>    3. Any other details I haven't thought to ask about?
>

> Thanks in advance for your comments.
>

> Henry Brantingham
>
> (612) 867-3941

Mark