[Sonar] Whisker poles ala Captain Hook

Ernest Brody epbrody at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 18:02:30 UTC 2007

Who wants a whisker pole for the next set of events (ADA and following
week)?  It makes jibing the jib much easier once you have the program down.

Here's what we do for the rigging

For the bungee retrieval system we need
1) a dead eye at the end of the boom on the port side
2) a bullet block under the boom at the vang
3) a bullet cheek block at the end of the boom on the starboard side

For the launching  system we need
4) a bullet cheek block on the starboard side of the mast around the lower
ring
5) a second block on the starboard side near the deck (can be on the mast or
on the deck)
6) a cleat in the controls area (can be on the deck or can be set up to come
out of a hole in the panel depending upon what you already have)
7) a bullet block attached to a light bungee which is tied to the spreader
( this keeps the launch line from choking you)

Let me know so we can have it all in place by the ADA.

Also, as we have seen continuous jib sheets seem to be too short for
operating with the whisker pole.  1/4 inch rope is quite sufficient (believe
it or not).

Ernest