[Sonar] British Virgin Islands Feb. sailing trip-A new SONAR event?

Chuck Bangasser chuck at besttechnologyinc.com
Wed Dec 17 22:58:22 UTC 2008

A crew member of ours is organizing a fun week of sailing (and partying) out of Tortola, BVI.  Fly into St. Thomas or Tortola.  If we book by Dec. 26st we get another 25% off of their normal charter rates!  Take along a friend or significant other.  Please find below a Q & A for many questions you may have.  Please get back to us ASAP if you would like to join us or have any questions!  Sounds like FUN!

1.  About how many would you have space for?

The big Cats have space for up to 10 (4 bedrooms, 4 baths and some sleeping space in the main salon)

The smaller Cats have 3 bedrooms and the monohauls get smaller.

So we have space for as many boats as you want to get....I'm thinking at least 2 cats.

2.  What week in Feb are you looking at?

early Feb, we can get up to 20% off if done before the 15th

3.  Where do you fly in and out of?

Tortola, British Virgin Islands is where the charter is.

 *   You can either fly into Beef Island, Tortola
 *   Or St. Thomas and take the Tortola Fast Ferry over to Road Town.

Either way is about the same amount of travel time.

4.  Any idea what the airfare runs?

after a quick check $1,000 but I've seen them in the past at $500-600.  Who knows with the economy!!!

5.  What is approx. cost of the boat rental, food and associated costs?

 Here are some examples for boat prices for 7 days, I included all the extra fees (if we go before Feb 15th looks like we will get an additional 20% off the prices I'm listing):

47' cat - 10 people $1,000/person

            - 8 people   $1,250/person

42' cat - 8 people $1,050/person

35' cat - 6 people $916/person

           - 5 people $1,100

The mono hauls are cheaper, but your climbing over each other.

 Food:  Typically we eat breakfast and lunch on the boat and dinner at restaurants. Grocery prices are double what they are here and restaurants have similar prices to here.  There is a mixture of high and low end restaurants on this trip.  It's pretty flexible, you could eat all on the boat or all in restaurants or anywhere in between. You are NOT limited to what everyone else is doing.

6.  What do you typically do during the week?  Cruise about how much?  Eat on the boat or on various islands?

We Island hop all week. The longest day of sailing will be 4-5 hours max.  Most of the time it's 1-2.    There is a mix of high end yacht clubs and small local places.

 Rent/take gear with us: SCUBA, snorkel, windsurf, kayaks, fishing....what ever you can think of they rent.

 We are wide open for whatever everyone wants.  We can sail where ever we want.....and typically we don't decide until morning.

 here are a few places:

http://www.peterisland.com/

http://www.beyc.com/

http://www.b-v-i.com/JostVanDyke/

http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/norman_island_willy_t.html

 Here are the pictures from last year:

http://picasaweb.google.com/krierc/BritishVirginIslandsSept2007#

7.  What are sleeping accommodations?

All the bedrooms have one big bed (for 2 people) and a bathroom.  Then there is some additional sleeping spots in the main cabin (think RV style!)  I've also spent many nights sleeping on the trampoline.

8.  Where do we typically tie down each night with storms?

There are tons safe moorings.

There is some anchorage for the calm nights.

9.  What is the cross section of ages of people attending?

25-65 plus who ever else wants to go!
Please REPLY to Chris Krier [krierc at gmail.com] with any questions you may have.

Chuck & Cheryl