[Sonar] Tonight's party

tbrown9163 at comcast.net tbrown9163 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 01:27:53 UTC 2009

I made it part way to the party tonight with the rain coming down and ice covered roads I saw several spinouts and my own car dishing around more than I felt comfortable with so I returned home.  Having been in an accident years ago as a passenger with a fatality right next to me,  I suppose I'm a little sensitive.

Chuck/Cheryl and Chris,  thanks for putting the effort in for this.

I just wanted to comment on Bert's request for proposal.    Tally Ho!  #40 will not go on a lift.    It actually was one of the reasons that I bought a Sonar and not a J22...that I could wetsail it.

I'm not against Bert having a lift so he can keep Captain Hook ready for top level regatta's however I would state some caution about the change of the perceived potential cost of ownership for a Sonar being less differential with a J22 in terms of future fleet growth.   The cost of ownership issue based on our very short sailing season I believe is one of the reasons why some of us have gotten into the Sonar.

On salt water,  where we had J24's that were both wet and dry sailed at PYC, and the wetboats had to clear the 'beard' off of the bottom every couple of weeks,  then it makes a difference.   I don't think it makes much of a difference on Minnetonka or our other northern freshwater lakes.   e.g.  John Sligh's, Marty's. Mark's consistent 1,2 or 3 performance at Lake Geneva with C17.

In short...I'm not against it.   I won't do it however but I caution about what message this might send for cost of ownership especially to younger families with other financial burdens that we need to keep the fleet growing.

--
Thomas M. Brown

From: Bert Foster <Bert at apexq.com>