[Sonar] Tonight's party

DAVID OLSON davidfolson at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 4 05:15:20 UTC 2009

I feel much like Tom.  Azor will not be on a lift.

David

#40 will not go on a lift.    It actually was one of the reasons that I
bought a Sonar and not a J22...that I could wetsail it.

> I'm not against Bert having a lift so he can keep Captain Hook ready for
top level regatta's however I would state some caution about the change of
the perceived potential cost of ownership for a Sonar being less
differential with a J22 in terms of future fleet growth.   The cost of
ownership issue based on our very short sailing season I believe is one of
the reasons why some of us have gotten into the Sonar.

> On salt water,  where we had J24's that were both wet and dry sailed at
PYC, and the wetboats had to clear the 'beard' off of the bottom every
couple of weeks,  then it makes a difference.   I don't think it makes much
of a difference on Minnetonka or our other northern freshwater lakes.
e.g.  John Sligh's, Marty's. Mark's consistent 1,2 or 3 performance at Lake
Geneva with C17.

> In short...I'm not against it.   I won't do it however but I caution
about what message this might send for cost of ownership especially to
younger families with other financial burdens that we need to keep the
fleet growing.