[Sonar] 2009 Kattack at WYC

tbrown9163 at comcast.net tbrown9163 at comcast.net
Fri May 8 17:20:46 CDT 2009

Dallas:

Some observations that may help in the decision making:

1. Last year we were on a mooring and often when we got to the GPS table, the downloading had already occurred and ourselves and others from moorings around around us walked away without a download.

2. Often we were unsure if GPS were collected for races at all. We'd see the laptop and maybe one GPS that was off and nobody around. Was unsure about leaving the GPS there alone and risk forgetting or losing it.

3. A couple of GPS's that I know of were stolen/lost in the last couple of years. I believe they were forgotten and then became a casualty of 'gee, a nice GPS is sitting here!' opportunistic situation.

Some suggestions:

1. Have two small plastic bins for the GPS's labeled incoming and outgoing. If the bins are out at the table, then there are measurements to be made. We can have an extra sign if we want too but just the fact that the bins are out would be enough notice I believe.

2. If the measurements are done and there are still GPS's in the incoming box, put the box in a safe place until the next measurement race.

3. All GPS's should have boat name, owner name and phone number on them.

4. For those of us with USB 2.0 GPS's, perhaps it can be set up so we can even do the download ourselves with the wire that would be hanging there.

I think this will encourage participation.

I'll even buy the bins!

Thomas Brown