[Sonar] Access Sailing

Ernest Brody epbrody at earthlink.net
Wed May 13 22:06:35 CDT 2009

As I mentioned at party and meeting at Chris' house, we (Carmella, Bert, and
I) are working on developing Access Sailing for disabled sailors.  The
response has been positive.  We have approached people at the Courage Center
and at the Veteran's Hospital and we have gotten positive reactions from
both.  We are also getting responses from volunteers.

The last Weathermark E-Blaster had a notice that we are having an
informational meeting at 7 PM on this coming Monday, May 18 at WYC.  Please
come.  The Sonar is the perfect boat for this sort of activity.  We need
your boats.  We need your help.  If you have done this sort of thing before,
we need your experience.

We may have bitten off more than we can chew but I don't think so.  (It's
better than not having enough to do)  Camp Courage wants us to host a day of
sailing for 40 kids, most of them in wheelchairs.  (They provide 1:1
kid:counselor ratio for helpers)  We have a person who wants us to host an
evening of sailing for 20 blind/visually impaired high school students.  You
may see a paraplegic trimming jib on Sesame Street in the next few weeks.

We are doing all of this in the name of the Wayzata Community Sailing Center
and getting as much publicity as we can.  The reasoning is that it will
attract big donors when they see how indispensible the WCSC is to the
community.

So, please come to the meeting on Monday, May 18 and find out how you can
help.  It is a very rewarding experience.

Ernest