[Sonar] FYI: Canadian Sonar Info

Mark Kochendorfer markoch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 18:43:58 CDT 2009

Here is my 2 cents.

Idea 1) If we can really have the team racing on the same weekend as the
Fall regatta that would be a good idea.  Having the SOTN join the last Champ
is a fine idea--especially if we do a two day.  Move the start time up to
noon or one.  There is not a MYC event--right?

Idea 2) I would do this, but I think that 3 events in 3 weekends won't get
us good turnout.  Team racing in the snow might not be so fun (like
richardson cup).

SOTN 2 or 3 days)  Have skippers vote.  I vote for either.

Cost)  Its a good value for me.  Skipper can ask crew to pay a share if cost
is an issue.

Team racing)  I would do 2 or 3 days.

Umpires)  I vote for local umps to cut costs.

Non Fleet 5 participants)  Yes

>    1. *2010 SCHEDULE*
>       1. *Idea # 1*
>       2. Schedule the SOTN Regatta the weekend of the last Champ race.
>       The following weekend would be the WYC Fall Regatta and the Sonar Team Race
>       regatta.  The following 4 Saturdays will be the Commodore Cup.  In this
>       schedule plan, the Sonar fleet could vote to have the last WYC Champ race
>       not count for Sonars, possibly be a Cup race, or treat the SOTN as a single
>       Champ race, or as 2 Champ races, in order to put emphasis on the SOTN and
>       help increase participation.  However, there could be a problem with a
>       Canadian boat’s finish position in the SOTN interfering with Fleet 5
>       Championship scoring points.    Last year there were only 8 local Sonar
>       boats + 2 Canadian borrowed boats. The Canadians have said they would next
>       year bring 3 boats for both regattas.  The idea is that the Sonars would
>       treat the SOTN as their major fall regatta, and most of them would sail in
>       the Team Race regatta the next weekend.  The non-team race sailors who want
>       to sail in the Fall Regatta would have fewer boats, but would have a better
>       chance to win trophies (this spreads the trophies among the fleet).
>       3. *Idea #2*
>       4. Schedule the WYC Fall Regatta immediately following the last
>       Champ Race, followed by the Star of the North Regatta, which would also be
>       the weekend of the 1st Commodore Cup, followed by the Team Race
>       Regatta.  It looks like the WYC will have 4 Commodore Cup races in 2010. The
>       Fleet could vote that the 1st & 2nd Commodore Cup would not count
>       for Sonars, and the Sonars that sailed in it, it could be a 2 race Cup race,
>       and the Commodore Cup, for the Sonars, would be a 2-race series with all
>       Sonars competing.
>    2. *Star of the North Regatta*
>       1. *Two or Three Days?*
>       2. The Sonar Fleet needs to talk about and decide whether they want
>       the SOTN to be a 3-day or a 2-day regatta.  Some people have said that they
>       have difficulty getting off work, and would prefer a 2-day regatta.  Other
>       people have said they like the fact that it is a 9-race regatta with lots of
>       racing and partying.  With a 2-day regatta, we could reschedule the SOTN to
>       have Friday be the long race for the other SOTN fleets, schedule 4 buoy
>       races on Saturday and 3 buoy races on Sunday.  A couple of people have said
>       they don’t want to race more than 2 races a day and the WYC Fall Regatta
>       meets that.  In the Capri-25 fleet about 50% love the 3 days and about 50%
>       will go either way.
>       3. *Cost*
>       4. A few people have commented that the SOTN is $120 while the WYC
>       Fall Regatta is free.  It should be pointed out that the $120 is almost
>       entirely used for 2 live bands, Adult beverages, and special trophies 3
>       breakfasts, 2 dinners, and 1 trophy lunch.  For a team of 4, that’s a lot
>       for $30/person.
>    3. *WYC Team Race Regatta*
> [...]

Mark