[Sonar] Final C series Race

Mark Kochendorfer markoch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 20:37:43 CDT 2009

The Sonar Fleet held a short meeting after the Thurs non race in the
bay to consider what to do about the last C race that is on the
schedule for 9/20.  Present for the meeting were Dan H, Sara and
Duane, John S, JR, Becka, Chris, Bert, Mark, Marty.  I think Tom,
David, Ernie, Joe were around, but not at the meeting?  Hope I got
that straight.

It was agreed that communication/advance notice of this issue was not
timely and that we must do better next year.

There was a consensus that boats doing the Regatta would not be able
to race in the last C and still fulfill their obligations to the
regatta and all those who are working so hard to put it on.

There was no good solution to this dilemma, but it was moved,
seconded, and passed that there would be a special cup race on Sunday
at 2pm for any Sonar that wishes to participate.   This race will not
count in the scoring for the C or Champ series.

Mark K

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Bert Foster <Bert at apexq.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> At Chris' house we discussed whether or not to join the SOTN and if
> so we need to encourage the entire fleet to participate and not have
> a Sunday race.  We even discussed that the Championship series would
> be one race fewer.   Historically all fleets entering a Fleet regatta
> (on Minnetonka) at WYC cancel their Sunday race.  This encourages
> participation in the regatta + there are trophies presentation, thank
> you s and clean up, and people have had enough racing at one time.  I
> was remise in not getting the change notice up earlier, but have
> never issued the change notice, because no one sailed the race.  It
> is always true that toward the end of a series or a regatta, those
> behind want another race to catch up, but it seem very unfair to
> effect the 17 race Championship by changing the number of races at
> the last minute.
>
> The reason we allowed the races to be sailed when we were in
> Sheboygan was most of the top half sailors were going and it was a
> way to encourage the bottom half to get a high finish that would
> encourage them without effecting the championship.
>
> Bert

Mark