[Sonar] Team Racing Update - 9 Boats - 3 Teams - Sailing Instructions - Time to Gather at WYC is 5 p.m.

John Sligh jsligh at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 8 11:09:54 CDT 2010

Fellow Team Racers,

We now have 9 boats participating in tonight's team racing event.  That means we'll have 3 Teams with 3 Boats on each team.  Racing will be in a round robin format where 2 teams will be racing at one time while 1 team will sits out and observes.

Gather in front of the WYC at 5 p.m.  Have someone rig the boat so we can get on the water and racing by 5:30 p.m.

Team 1 - Gusto, Sesame Street, Brouhuha
Team 2 - Surly Angel, Bat Mobile, Believe
Team 3 - Liberty, Presto, Sonar 822

Team 1 Boats/Crew
Gusto - John Sligh, Liz Sligh, Jeff Harris
Sesame Street - Ernie Brody, Barth Reding, Beth Carpenter
Brouhuha - Allison Hubel, Tom Brown, Jerry Hammann, Allison's Crew 4

Team 2 Boats/Crew
Surly Angel - Marty Fossen, Cheryl Schweiss, Crew 3, Crew 4
Bat Mobile - Duane Olmsted, Sarah Olmsted, Nathan Olmsted, Bill O'Reilly
Believe - Allan Green, Jill Dunning-Harris, Steve Johnson, Evan Green

Team 3 Boats/Crew
Liberty - Mark Kochendorfer, Brenda Gensch, Shelly Gooley, Dan Hollinger
Presto - Joe Beckey, Crew 1, Crew 2, Crew 3
Sonar 822 - John Graves, Chris Fittipaldi, Laurie Wrobel

If extra crew show up that aren't on the list above, we'll put them on Gusto, Sesame Street or Sonar 822.

Sailing Instructions
1) Have fun
2) Bring Your Own Beverage (beer, wine, pop etc.)
3) Course - W 1 1/2
a)  Starting Line will be between two bouys downwind from the windward mark.  Start between the two bouys.  If over early, no need to round the ends, just dip below the line and restart.
b)  Windward mark is to be rounded to Starboard.  There will be a windward mark and an offset to the right of the windward mark (as you look upwind).  Both the windward mark and offset must be rounded to Starboard.
c)  Leward Mark is to be rounded to Port.  There will be an offset to the left of the leward mark (as you look downwind).  Both the leward mark and offset must be rounded to Port.
d)  Finish Line - finish between the windward mark and the offset.

4)  Starting Sequence - 3 minutes - Sounded by Horn

3 Longs - 3 minutes
2 Longs - 2 minutes
1 Long & 3 shorts - 1 1/2 minutes
l Long - 1 minute
3 Shorts - 30 seconds
2 Shorts - 20 seconds
1 Short - 10 seconds
5 second Countdown - short, short, short, short, short
Start - One Long Horn

5)  Corinthian Sailing Rules

We will all observe Corinthian Rules of Sailing.  Penalties are on the honor system.  If you think you may have caused an infraction, you did.  Do a 360 penalty turn and move on.

6) Reminders -
- There are 21 possible points in each race.  The team with 10 points or less wins the race.  For example, if you have a 1st, 4th and 6th you lose.  Help out your team mates!
- Bouy Room Zone for Team Racing is 2 Boat Lengths (not 3)
- Penalty Turns for Team Racing - 360 degrees (not 720)
- Don't hit other boats.
- See rule # 5 again

Good Sailing,

John Sligh