[Sonar] Grandfathered boats

Ernest Brody epbrody at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 15 21:07:36 CDT 2011

So, here's what we have learned about grandfathered boats.  Basically we
take measurements and report results but if the boat is old (as most of the
ones we're dealing with are) and has not been modified in this particular
respect,  it is grandfathered.  If it has been modified in the respect, it
has to meet the specification.  Basically, the boats meet specification that
was in force at the time they were built.  If I find any more deviations,
I'm going to check with Gene Hinkel but I expect he is going to say to pass
it.

All keels, if not modified, before hull 650 are grandfathered.  To my
knowledge, rumor notwithstanding to the contrary, this is the case for Fleet
5 boats.

All hulls, before hull 350 are grandfathered for hull measurements.

.         This includes chain plate position.  Therefore, Ken, Eric, Allen,
and Howard don't have to mess with that.  Mark has messed with it so he must
meet the new specification which I expect he will.  I expect the boat sails
better with the narrower chain plates but modification is strictly
voluntary.

.         The mast heel point on boats after 350 have been measured already
except on Ben's boat and 417 from Canada.  It will be easy.  On the before
350 boats I will have to figure out how to correct for the wood but it's
grandfathered.  My guess is that the tolerances are large enough that
everyone will be OK.

.         You probably should look at the measurement form
http://www.sonar.org/site/files/Library/Measurement_Info/Measurement%20Form%
20v10.pdf so you know what is going on but all the stern to keel and stern
to rudder will be grandfathered.  It's not something people would modify
willy-nilly in hopes of making the boat faster.

We discovered that Ken's mast has the old saddle and tang spreader system.
It is a 15 degree spreader angle.  The through-bar is a 10 degree spreader
angle.  There are reasons that Ken might want to go to the through-bar like
the tang welds break or the boat sails better, but we're not going to force
him to change it.

That's what I know right now.

Ken and I measured two masts.  I measured Ken's to show him how and he
measured Sesame Street's.  Once the mast is out of the boat it takes about
an hour.  It's the in and out process that takes time.

As soon as possible after I return, I would like to measure as many of the
masts as I can.  This could be done the week between Burton Cup and Labor
Day.  Would someone take the leadership and start lining people up.  I think
we could do two or three in an afternoon.

Then I can do chain plates and mast heel points at my leisure during the
week.

Finally, we will do weights.  While we have the boats on the crane we can do
the underwater measurements.

We need to find a crane scale.  The specification is a certified digital
scale with 1000 Kg capacity and 0.5 Kg resolution.

.         Marty - you got one.   Did it meet that specification?

.         Would someone investigate with Kennedy Scale or Berne Scale to
find out what they have and how much it costs?  What is the rental time?

I'll be in e-mail contact as best as I can.  I'll be back in time for
Burton/MS Cup.

Ernest