[Sonar] Progress

Ernest Brody epbrody at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 28 21:11:04 CDT 2011

We got three masts measured Sunday.   It took about 45 minutes per mast.
We found that it works well to have one mast being measured while another is
being prepared.

I plan to start weighing boats Monday.  We have the scale for a limited time
so we have to focus on it.  Boats should be brought in empty of all but the
permitted items.

1.     Take out all the excess stuff and junk that you sail with.  That is
sails, sail ties, Loos gauge, life jackets, sail cover and the like.

2.     You can leave the motor and motor mount on but we will be removing
them at the crane.

3.     The bilge should be dry.

4.     The things that should be left on your boat are:

a.     One set of sheets only (dry)

                                          i.    Main sheet

                                         ii.    Jib sheets

                                        iii.    Spinnaker sheets

b.    Hatch covers

c.     Mast partner blocks

d.    Fastened or permanent equipment including

                                          i.    Compasses (excluding
batteries)

                                         ii.    Running lights

                                        iii.    Permanent bilge pump

                                        iv.    Masthead fly and telltales

                                         v.    Lifting slings

Notice that it says fastened or permanent.  This means that a compass which
is in a bulkhead or screwed to the boat stays on.  A removable TackTick
comes off.

5.     If there are corrector weights they should be removed and made
available for weighing unless they are permanently attached.

We are set up to use the strongback if you don't have a lifting strap.

There are also some measurements we have to do while we have access to the
bottom of the boat.  I'm guessing it is going to take about 30 minutes per
boat.

Ernest