[Sonar] WYC SI Regarding "Special Fleet Rules"

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Tue Apr 17 17:08:24 CDT 2012

Hi All,

The Problem

Several years ago there was a protest in another fleet over the fleet
allowing the fleet to give average points to a boat that was away at a NA.
The WYC "Championship" on the line with the PC decision.  It was a big deal.
The PC had to use only the RRS, the  WYC-NOR,  the Class Rules (not the
special feet rules), and the WYC-Sis.  The PC had to rule (even though it
wasn't the fleets intension) that the "average points rule in the local
fleet" was not referenced in the WYC Sis-NOR and were not part of the rules
for the "WYC Championship Series"

The Solution

We put into the WYC Sis/NOR that the Fleet Special Rules are part of the
rules the WYC races are sailed under, and we put up a website for each fleet
to have their own special rules.  Then we set up a process for the fleets to
send me, RC Chair their special rules for review for clarity.  I review them
with my rules guys for clarity and recommend changes if they are needed to
be clear.  We don't review them for content as the RC is here to serve the
Fleets and they can make up their own local fleet rules.  We then post them
to the WYC Official Special Fleet Rules that is password protected so they
can't be changed by anyone but the RC Chair.

While this may seem a little "picky", the Sonar fleet should follow through.
I told Ernie that Carmella and I could get a rock star crew and sail the BI
race that is used as the Lonar Cup and get credit for that BI Race.  We
should reference the Lonar Cup races as using special fleet rules like
"single hand and whatever else is needed.

Regards,

Bert

Bert Foster

RC Chair WYC