[Sonar] various thoughts mostly looking toward next season

Martin Fossen martyfossen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 18:37:35 CST 2012

Happy New Year Fleet 5,

So now that the holidays are over it's time to look ahead to the 2012 season, isn't it?  So below are a few sailing/racing ideas that you might think about over the coming months.  When we have an official meeting, we can vote on ideas if motions are put forth (and seconded,discussed, etc).  Perhaps in about February, I'll ask for motions to be put forth via our sonar at list.wyc.org forum and then see if we can get some business done virtually.

Here are a few ideas for discussion:

1)  Regarding the Champ of Champs event at MYC:  Since the Thursday evening races see the best participation, should the leader of the Sunset series represent the fleet at the Champ of Champs?  Rather than the historical condition which is that the leader of the Sunday champ series represents.

2)  Team Racing - We have a growing contingent of Sonar Team Racing enthusiasts.  Our Great Northern Team Race Regatta drew surprisingly good participation even though it was just after the NAs.  We did a few Sunday-morning team race scrimmages this last summer.  Perhaps a different time slot for scrimmages would work better overall.  Allen suggests doing some Tuesday evenings.  Team racers, think about your preferrences and put them forth regarding time slot and frequency.

We'll definitely field a team in Texas in March again.  Hans has agreed to lead the charge on pulling that team together and making arrangements.  Be sure to make your interest known to Hans and be ready to commit entrance fee money and book your flights in early 2012 to secure your spot on the team.  Fence sitters will likely get left sitting.

 3)  How many Fleet 5 Sonar racers want to go to Rochester NY for Sonar NAs in August?  So therefore, of course, how many Fleet 5 boats?

4)  How could we better disseminate knowledge on getting strong VMG across more of our fleet?

5)  Any thoughts you can share on intra fleet communication more generally?  This sonar.list forum sometimes gets a bit thick with fleet related e-mails, but I personally don't use Facebook nor look toward the Fleet page at WYC.org too often, so I don't yet see a better communication tool for broad and/or response-needing communication.  For those who use facebook, please contribute comments too the facebook group page, WYC Sonar Fleet 5.

Response comments welcome.  But please email me personally rather than simply hit the response button to this email since everybody on the list gets every response; unless it's truly important that everybody on the list sees your response.  You know what I mean?

Best regards,
Marty