[Sonar] An initial response, more later

Martin Fossen martyfossen at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 14:24:09 CDT 2012

Sailors,

I'm the current fleet captain of WYC Sonar fleet 5, so here's an initial response to our "stuff":

Thank you to all who run the club, the races, the events.  I'm amazed by many who are willing to put so much time and energy toward those efforts.
In particular, thank you Carmella.  You are at the top of the list of those who amaze me by generously offering your time and energy to WYC and the Sonar fleet.  I hope you'll be able to take a few deep breaths and are able to allow some of the frustration melt away.  Though I truly, seriously hope you won't bail out, if you chose to bail out of some volunteering, I would understand completely.  I can see how frustrating your situation would be.

Thanks also to Chuck Bangasser and his notes on this topic.  I agree with Chuck's explaination wholeheatedly.  Our race management does a fantastic job minimizing traffic conflicts on the race course and there are far fewer traffic conflicts than there used to be; and yet, there's always a few, particularly in light wind.  So frustrating inter-fleet traffic situations arise.  I'm sure I've been one who, in the heat of the moment, has expressed that frustration in ways that weren't empathetic to a racer of another fleet who was just trying to race their race.  Such complaining and situations really should be in the same catagory as complaining about the wind shifts that mess up your race.  But I can still understand if such complaining has been taken personally.  I wonder if this race-course frustration is bleeding into the more generalized feelings express by "anonymous".  Hopefully the perceptions expressed by anonymous aren't
 as too widely shared.  Hopefully those feelings expressed can be acknowledged and addressed, and we can move back to just enjoying the WYC experiences, on and off the lake, like we usually do.

More later, MF