[Sonar] My comments to the Capri fleet regarding yesterdays Sonar comments

Chuck Bangasser chuck at besttechnologyinc.com
Sat Jun 16 08:14:12 CDT 2012

I have personally replied the below to the Capri email list and hope that I
have not misrepresented comments about our Sonar fleet members.

This is Chuck Bangasser responding to yesterday's comments about the Sonar
fleet.  About 7 yrs ago when I joined WYC I was considering joining the
Capri fleet so I signed up for your email list and have continued to be on
it.  I was very disturbed reading the recent comments and have forwarded
them to our Sonar fleet email list.  I tell you this because your comments
do NOT reflect the feelings of most ALL Sonar fleet members.  We highly
respect the Capri fleet as you have always been a very hard working, fun
loving fleet and many of us have participated in your past regattas.

We should all be very proud to be part of WYC and the last thing that any
of us want is any dissention with other fleets.  Our last year Star of the
North regatta was not without conflict within our own fleet as this was our
first attempt at a "national regatta" which your Capri fleet has very
successfully conducted many times.  Most important is the fact that if
anyone in our fleet, either last year or this year, has excluded  or
ignored efforts or comments from anyone in your fleet I personally
apologize and I know I can speak for most all of our fleet.

Comments yesterday included statements about the Capri rights and feelings
from other fleets on the race course.  Yes, I must admit times of
frustration where we were covered by a Capri at a mark rounding.  Your
boats are larger with significant sail area and at times somewhat slower.
We all compete on the race course and feel frustration when anything beyond
our control affects our performance.  However, please don't extrapolate
that others don't want Capris on the race course.  We all should be proud
to be part of WYC and value all the fleets in our club.

Our fleet captain, Mary Fossen, will be contacting your fleet captain to
discuss these issues.  I have talked with several other Sonar members and
your recent comments do not reflect the feeling of most all our members.
Please allow us to discuss and resolve these problems before they cause any
further damage between our fleets.

Chuck Bangasser