[Sonar] Adaptive Sailing Possibility

Ernest Brody epbrody at usinternet.com
Wed Apr 22 15:56:07 CDT 2015

Hi Fellow Sonarians

A real opportunity has fallen into the Adaptive Sailing's lap. There is a
foundation called 'Return to Adventure'. They provide activities for
veterans who were injured as part of Explosive Ordnance Disposal units. They
are the ones who defuse bombs. The can be severely injured when things go
wrong. In my initial conversation I was told that the veterans are amputees,
some wheelchairs, and some visually impaired.

'Return to Adventure' provides activities for these men. In the past they
have gone skiing, rafting, and hunting. This year they want to learn
sailing. We were connected to them through a yacht club member.

The plan we are working on is that they would

.       Arrive on Thursday, July 9 and be taken on a pontoon or other
powerboat to watch Thursday evening racing. That in itself can be pretty
exciting.

.       Friday and Saturday, July 10 and 11 we will teach them to sail (2 to
a boat). Two full days of instruction will take them through the US Sailing
15-hour course.

.       Sunday, July 12 they will participate in the Sonar Rumble (1 to a
boat) racing

The Sonar Rumble is where you come in.  We need six boats who would each
take one of the 'Return to Adventure' veterans. It would be 3 regular crew
for the boat and one veteran. The racing would be done with spinnakers to
give them the full excitement. You would probably give them the jib trimming
job.

If you are interested and willing to help with this project, please contact
me soon. I need to start establishing whether this can happen.

Ernest Brody

Adaptive Sailing Director

Wayzata Community Sailing Center