[Sonar] Update from March 1 fleet meeting, get ready for spring!

Sonar Fleet 5 Board sonar5board at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 12:12:15 CDT 2019

Happy Spring Sonar sailors!:

Mother nature threw us another batch of winter on March 1, when some of us
were able to get together to put some ideas together for the upcoming
season and potentially beyond.  However,  for some of us it was a curve
ball and we were not able to attend.  I appreciate those who were able to
come and put their ideas in!

We are on the brink of a great season ahead of us.   Mother nature is
starting out by making sure our playground will be full of water.
Towards the end of this week,  our snow cover should be mostly gone and the
sun will begin to work on the ice.  Before we know it,  we'll be talking
ice out dates.

Those that were elected to fill chair positions within the fleet on March
1,  namely  myself (who is coming from being the treasurer and owner of
'Tally Ho!'),  Charlie Luke (owner of 'Gaigin') and  Troy Neurauter (owner
of 'RedLine') met yesterday.   We discussed the ideas and what we would
like to focus on for the upcoming season.

One of the great ideas that has been brought forward is the establishment
of a volunteer position, the Activities Chair.   This person, with the help
of others, will plan and execute our non-race activities such as
parties/gatherings, training sessions or various recruitment activities.
This will allow us to better continue our WYC famous winter white elephant
party, crew draft party, race rules, and man overboard training sessions,
just for starters.  Kate Barry (owner of Stormy Petrel) has volunteered to
to fill this position.

As we agreed in the Mar 1 meeting, you will see a subsequent email titled
"Sonar Activities Chair discussion" which will initiate the 10 day
discussion period,  then a subsequent email will come out to initiate the 5
day voting period. There will be one vote per Sonar hull.

I think most non-WYC members would agree that the Sonar social and training
activities are the envy of the club.   We intend to keep it that way.

Not to forget,  we will also be continuing our Friday night team race event
and social that JR will again organize.

We are also planning more updated and additional website content.
 Skippers, crews and shore support staff will be better able to plan.
 More will be visible very soon.

Thomas Brown
Sonar #548  "Tally Ho!"