[Weathermark]The Weathermark at wyc.org - August 12th, 200

dallas johnson dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Tue Aug 12 16:04:18 CDT 2003

The Weathermark at wyc.org  -  August 12th, 2003

THIS ISSUE:
- Excelsior Light Parade
- Race Start Time Reminder
- End of B Series Party
- Trans and J24 Nationals News
- Upcoming Races - Women's Bay and Burton Cup
- Right-of-Way
------------------------------

EXCELSIOR LIGHT PARADE
This Sunday (Aug 17th) is the Excelsior 150th Anniversary Boat Parade. The
current plan of WYC Sailors who've expressed and interest is to complete the
B Series race this Sunday, decorate their boat during the B Series Party,
and then head over to Excelsior for the Parade. Registration materials and
decoration ideas are posted online at http://www.wyc.org/parade.htm

RACE START TIME REMINDER
The B-6 race this Sunday starts at 2:00pm. Next Sunday on the 24th, it's a
double header with the C-1 starting at 1:00pm and the C-2 starting
immediately after. This isn't a schedule change, just a friendly reminder.
Please remind your crew or skipper, depending on who's the forgetful on your
boat... http://www.wyc.org/schedule.PDF

END OF B SERIES PARTY
The Ensign and Sonar fleets are hosting the B Series party after the race
this Sunday. Please bring your party hat and appetite.

TRANS AND J24 NATIONALS WRAP-UP
WYC-AIS Sailors did well in the Trans Superior winning PHRF II (Chewbacca:
Peterson/Nimmer), PHRF III (Freedom: Mike Spence), and the Cruising Class
(Aerie: Thom Burns). Complete results are available at the Algoma Sailing
club site at
http://users.soonet.ca/jjohnsto/AlgomaSailingClub/MainFrame.html

The J24 Nationals saw three WYC boats in the top 10 with the Usual Suspects
leading the way in 6th place and VooDoo and Zoom close behind. Complete
results are available at http://j24class.org/usa/USNat/D1.htm

UPCOMING RACES
The Women's Bay races were canceled last weekend due to lack of wind, so
it's all coming down to one big three race series this Saturday. Be there.
This is your chance for glory.

Speaking of big races. The Burton Cup is next weekend on the 23rd. This is
the biggest, oldest, and coolest race of the year. Windward Leewards are for
Wimps!

RIGHT-OF-WAY
Don't forget that those big cruising party boats we occasionally encounter
at the Spirit Island Channel have rightaway over sailboats because they are
big and can not easily alter course. Their job is very difficult when there
are 100 sailboats moving through the channel, so please cut them some slack.
Remember: there's rightaway, and then there's tonnage.

And while we're on the topic, the Burton Cup often has it's first mark in
Wayzata Bay, which means we run into racing MYC boats that start at 10:00am
on the way to our 10:30 start. Please use your motor if possible and try to
keep your wind shadow to a minimum if you're sailing.

See you at the Burton.