The Weathermark at wyc.org - July 28, 2005

dallas dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Thu Jul 28 12:53:25 CDT 2005

The Weathermark at wyc.org  -  July 28, 2005

THIS ISSUE
- ADA Regatta Wrap-up
- Leech Lake Regatta
- The Sky Is Falling
- Women's Rolex Seminar
- Women's Bay Series
-----------------------------

ADA WRAP-UP
By summoning the combined powers of the Commodore, R.C. Chair, and P.R.O. we were finally able to bring some real wind to the ADA Regatta. Next year we're going to be more specific with our requests to the wind gods and tell them we only want 10-15knots with sun and temps in the 80's. Bank on it!

We (really the excellent  ADA staff ) did manage to raise a smidgen over 20k for The American Diabetes Association this year. Not a great year for fund raising, but a significant sum of money. Individual boat donations were down this year, so let's work on more for next year. Our top fundraiser was Tom Verburgt with $2,210 on the J24 Fluid Ice. And the J24 fleet was the top fundraiser this year, narrowly edging out the Capri 25 fleet. Way to Go!

Corporate sponsorship and donations raise the lion's share of money for the ADA Regatta. If you or someone you know have corporate connections that you would like to see used toward the WYC ADA Regatta, please contact Jenni Hargrave at the ADA and let her know. Her phone number is 763-593-5333 x6787. Now is the time to start planning for next year. Learn more at http://www.diabetes.org

LEECH LAKE REGATTA
The 34th Annual Leech Lake Regatta is coming up on August 20-22. This regatta has been around for a long time and if you haven't raced it then you really can't say you've done it all. So get up there and earn yourself some bragging rights. Web site address with all the important info is available at http://www.angelfire.com/mn/leechlakeregatta

THE SKY IS FALLING
Well, actually, only Mars is falling. In August, earth will reach it's closest distance to mars in the past 5,000 years. And it won't be this close again for another 60,000 years when the universe starts to implode. Throughout August Mars will be a mere 34,649,589 mile from Wayzata Yacht Club. So take a night sail and check it out.

Why do I mentioning this?  Because the club is still on the lookout for someone who would like to take ownership of the traditional WYC Full-Moon Night-Crawler events. We can provide the moon and bring Mars closer, but we need someone to make it all fun. If you'd like to see the Night Crawlers restarted at WYC, please contact myself or Scott Brigham at commodore at wyc.org. Seriously, this is a low key and fun responsibility.

ROLEX SEMINAR
Those spunky MWST folks are at it again. This time with rockstar Sally Barkow doing a clinic in J22s on August 13th. Details are still being sorted out, but save the date and please e-mail Jennifer Child at childjennifer at hotmail.com or 612-616-0804 if you have an interest in this event and would like more details. My understanding is that space is limited and that women get first dips followed by non-women.

WOMEN'S BAY SERIES
Speaking of the fairer sex, the Women's Bay Series is this Saturday and next. Three races on Saturday mornings. A female at the helm is the only rule (besides those pesky sailing rules). Just do it, it's fun!

See you tonight at the races!