Weathermark e-Blaster at wyc.org - January 15, 2008

dallas johnson dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Thu Jan 15 11:52:19 CST 2009

Weathermark e-Blaster at wyc.org - January 15, 2008

COMMODORE'S COMMENTS
It's -20 outside right now and the only sailing I want to do is sailing
away. But we've all been here before and we all know spring will eventually
get here. So hang on everyone, we're pullin' for ya.

$$$$$$
There's been no shortage of gossip about the economy effecting sailing this
winter. I sure wouldn't want to be a sailmaker this winter. But despite the
gloomy news I still hear that our club continues to provide the best value
for our recreation dollars. I've heard of some crew pitching in to help
their skipper cover slip fees and I've heard of some canceled Caribbean
sailing trips, but I've also heard about a new WYC based A Scow syndicate
(the third), we've been receiving inquiries to fill the new docks, and I
already know of two old boats returning to WYC for more abuse and glory.  So
if anything the economy seems to be consolidating people toward our local
sailing instead of away from it. Thank goodness the wind is still free.

2009 SCHEDULE
After a couple years of BIG regattas, this will be more of a normal year
with a focus on our traditional series races and fleet regattas. Long live
the G, the T, and the M. Our tentative 2009 schedule is online, check it
out.
http://wyc.org/Portals/0/forms-docs/schedule-09.pdf

NORTH U RULES SEMINAR
THIS SATURDAY at the Ridgedale Library. The one and only DAVE PERRY will be
there educating us on the new Rules. Sign up so you don't get schooled on
the race course. They can take away your 401k and hedge fund, but they can't
take away knowledge.
Register Online at
http://wyc.org/Seminars/NorthUSeminar/tabid/641/Default.aspx

YOUTH SAILING CAMPS/CLASSES
2009 enrollment is open for the Wayzata Community Sailing Center. Youth
camps are the sort of thing that can get hit hard in a recession, so help
out by passing the word to your friends and neighbors about getting their
kids enrolled in a sailing camp this summer. You don't need to be from a
sailing family, you don't need any special gear, and the camps don't cost
anymore than other camps. But one week in a sailing camp will be the big
summer highlight. Hey, my kids are SICK of sailing all the time with mom and
dad, but they loved sailing camp!
Promote your sport, PASS THE WORD: www.WayzataSailing.org

WINTER SEMINAR SEASON PASS
Beth Frampton (our Seminar Zar) has lined up a great winter series of
Seminars starting January 22nd. New this year, you can reserve a seat
online. Best of all, you can even purchase a single season pass to get
yourself into all four seminars for the price of three. No registration for
each event, just walk in and act like you own the place.
http://wyc.org/Seminars/WinterSeminars/tabid/644/Default.aspx

MWST SEMINARS
The MN Women's Sailing Team has a full schedule of seminars as well. My
favorite is "local knowledge for 2009 Regattas". Check it out and learn more
at their website.
http://mwst.org/Training_Events_Schedule.html

NEW DOCKS
Let's try to get racing sailing boats in the new slips instead of
powerboats. If you've got a new syndicate, this is the year to get into the
club. Get the word out that we've got some room at the hottest inn on the
lake. At the current rate we expect to fill all our new slips by springtime,
get going. If you have friends with boats have them contact Bren to inquire
about a slip. 612-701-3230 or manager at wyc.org

MOORING NOTICES
Your mooring notices are out. Don't forget that if you mail in a check by
1-31 and you can take a 2.5% discount. Full payment is due by 2-28.  Hey,
it's better than keeping the money in the stock market.

ADA PROPS
The ADA Wine On Wayzata Bay Regatta will be a bigger deal this year, so plan
those dates and consider getting involved by contacting Bob Carpenter
(jalapeno334 at yahoo.com).  This is the season to get in line for being a
sponsor, so if you want to be a part of the big event for the Wayzata
community, this is it.
www.WineOnWayzataBay.com

LOWISA NO BOAT REGATTA
Date: January 31, 2009, Time: 7:00 pm; Place: Wayzata Yacht Club
LOWISA 44: http://www.lowisa.org/
More: Beth Frampton at beth.frampton at gmail.com

TROPHY PICKUP
Unclaimed trophies, photos, and glassware are at the clubhouse. Please pick
them up.

PAUL WICKLUND
Paul tells us that it's time to move on to new ventures in his life. He's
been sailing his Sea Sprite 23 at the club since 1974 (remember Nixon?) with
his daughter and son through their various stages of life. Paul retired from
his profession as an Ophthalmologist in 1996. We expect to see Paul around
from time to time looking for a crewing gig, but we'll miss seeing his boat
on the race course. Fair winds, friend.

ONLINE SURVEY
Our survey was a huge success with over 200 completed responses. Thank you
to everyone who provided their thoughts. There were no earth shaking trends,
but we read all of your comments and will use this as a guide in the future.
Look for a more in-depth discussion in our next print Weathermark.

THANKS,
As your Commodore, I'm working hard on ending winter and getting spring in
full gear. It might take us a couple months, but we can do it. Think Spring!