Weathermark E-Blaster

Beth Frampton beth.frampton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 16:14:50 CDT 2012

In this Issue:
- Dick Thews: Fiddlers Green
- Lake Minnetonka low water
- Please donate to the WYC awards banquet silent auction
- It's time to order trophy glassware
- Clean, engrave, and return your traveling trophies
- New Apostle Island Station (AIS) trophies
________________________________

DICK THEWS: FIDDLERS GREEN
>From Pat Maloney: Dick Thews was one of the original WYC members.  At
that time we both sailed O'Day Day sailors and his wife Dorothy was
excellent crew as was my wife Marilyn.  He was very active in the
club, serving as Treasurer when I was Commodore, and then he was
Commodore a couple years after me. Dick’s Obituary can be viewed at:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/startribune/obituary.aspx?n=richard-frank-thews&pid=160107169#fbLoggedOut
_______________________________

LAKE MINNETONKA LOW WATER
Lake Minnetonka water levels are very low and continue to go down.
- When moving your boat to the crane, hug J24 row so that you don’t
get stuck in gravel from the public access.
- Deep draft boats may need to be pulled sooner than later.
- Monitor water levels at http://minnehahacreek.org/data-center/water-levels.
_______________________________

PLEASE DONATE TO THE AWARDS BANQUET SILENT AUCTION
As the sailing season closes and we pull our boats out of the water it
is time to think about the Awards Banquet and Silent Auction.  The
Silent Auction benefits the Wayzata Community Sailing Center’s
activities.  As usual we will have many wonderful items for you to bid
on including the highly prized reserved parking spots.  You can donate
an item to the Silent Auction at
http://www.wayzatasailing.org/donation-form%20/ .  If you have
questions, call (952) 476-2866 or email nessjl at yahoo.com.  We thank
you for helping.
______________________________

IT’S TIME TO ORDER TROPHY GLASSWARE
October 19 is the deadline to order extra trophy glasses and WYC
burgee glassware for your crew.
- The order form is posted on the WYC home page http://www.wyc.org/.
- Not sure what glassware you won? Check
http://www.wyc.org/RacingResults/ScratchSheetCompetitor.aspx.
______________________________

CLEAN, ENGRAVE, AND RETURN YOUR TRAVELING TROPHIES
If you won a traveling trophy in 2011, please polish it up and bring
it to Evergreen Jewelers to be engraved (free of charge). Polished and
engraved trophies should be dropped at WYC by November 1.
_____________________________

NEW APOSTLE ISLAND STATION (AIS) TROPHIES

The Apostles Island Station of Wayzata Yacht Club is very pleased to
have the support of many Bayfield businesses. This year, Mary Rice and
Kenny Dobson donated permanent and keeper trophies, after their
families, for two of our great events; The Around Madeline Island Race
and the Bayfield Cup!

A.D "BiILL" HULINGS TROPHY  --  AROUND MADELINE ISLAND RACE
A.D. "Bill" Hulings started sailing in 1948 on ‘Puffin’, an 18-foot
lap strake, centerboard boat with a 28-foot mast built by Captain
Hargrave, of Bayfield.  Bill sailed from Sand Island in July and
August and on the St. Croix River in Bayport in the spring and fall.
In the mid 1950's, Bill  purchased a "serious" boat,  the "Mara",  to
sail in the Apostles throughout the summer. Bill was the fourth member
of the Apostle Islands Yacht Club, along with Dr. Pierpont, Oscar Swee
and Bill Peet. The Mara, a Swedish Kings Cruiser, will be sailing
again in Bayfield in 2013.

Initially, the members used six packs as buoys!  Bill was pleased to
come in fourth, never mentioning that there were only four boats.
Bill eventually moved to Madeline Island, with his wife, Betty. He
sailed with Warren Jensch and Red Eldred in and around Madeline
Island. That sailing became the inspiration for the AD "Bill" Hulings
Around Madeline Island Trophy.

Bill's daughter, Mary H Rice, owns Maggie's, Wild Rice, and the Egg
Toss. She is a longstanding supporter of sailboat racing in The
Apostles, having sponsored the Maggie's Cup for over 25 years.
____________

M.W. DOBSON REGATTA --- BAYFIELD CUP

M.W. Dobson started sailing on Lake Washington in Mankato, Minnesota
in the 1960's.  He was the commodore of the local yacht club and ran
the committee boat.

Mervin was part of the Wayzata Yacht Club in the 60's and 70's,
sailing with his son, Kenny. They initially shared driving duties on
the boat, but ultimately Kenny's dad crewed for him!  They sailed in
the Yngling Class and on a 17' O'Day. M.W. was a member of the Apostle
Islands Yacht Club in the seventies, as well.  He and his family
sailed a Pearson 35, named Windless.  The Dobson family frequently
sailed in the Caribbean and the Virgin Islands.

Kenny Dobson owns Black Hawk Boatyard and the well-known barge "Outer
Island".  He is a longstanding supporter of sailing and racing in The
Apostles through Black Hawk and having contributed the committee boat
and launch services during many Race Weeks.

The Bayfield sailing community greatly appreciates the support of these friends.

--
Beth Frampton
beth.frampton at gmail.com