[Capri25] FW: Capri fixes

Smith, Craig A (MN14) Craig.A.Smith at honeywell.com
Tue Apr 17 16:24:52 UTC 2007

 Rudy wrote:

*       When we pulled out the tiller post we noticed inside about mid
way down the thru hole that there is a very small hole on the inside
where water could basically splash up into and leak into the bilge area.
Has anybody else had this issue?  Any suggestions on best way to plug?

Is the rudder post also wobbly?  West System has a recommend repair that
would fix both issues.  You remove the rudder post and coat it with a
release agent.  Then drill many small holes in the sleeve.  Reinsert the
post and inject epoxy that you've mixed with graphite.  The end result
is supposed to be good fit in a graphite lubricate sleeve.

Then again, others (Taxi, Persistence) have replaced the entire sleeve
with some kind of plastic - perhaps Delrin (tm)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delrin

I've heard Catalina installed some sleeves that we're vertical, so if
you go this route, be sure to install the replacement true, not
necessarily the way it was.

*       Has anybody replaced the cockpit drain thru hole sleeves at the
base of the transom?  Where can you buy new ones?

Loosecrew needs this same repair.  We would be very interested in
anything you learn.