[Capri25] Capri 25 Boom Gooseneck

dallas johnson dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Fri Jul 16 13:42:08 CDT 2010

I realize I sound like an old geezer when I send these message out, but, well...perhaps I'm an old geezer.

The C-25 goosenecks typically have a seemingly obvious spot for attaching a shackle to the sail tack on the luff (forward) section of the gooseneck.

While this seems like the obvious place to attach the tack, it creates compression from the outhaul on the foot of the sail against the gooseneck pivot point. It's bad engineering and it will break eventually (in the middle of a heavy air race).

Instead, attach your tack to the front of your boom just behind (as close as possible to) the gooseneck pivot point. This removes outhaul compression loads from your gooseneck. It won't effect your sail shape significantly and your gooseneck will last forever. If you don't have an attachment point, make one.

I went through several goosenecks until I did this, and that last almost broken gooseneck then lasted six seasons with no wear.

dj

Dallas Johnson Marketing Services
952-935-3465w    952-931-9108h