[Capri25] Capri 25 Boom Gooseneck

Smith, Craig A Craig.A.Smith at honeywell.com
Fri Jul 16 13:49:34 CDT 2010

Having recently replaced a J22 gooseneck with the class-standard
casting, I'm not sure you want one that's "sturdier than the original."

Many systems intentionally include a weak-link that's designed to fail.
Would you rather replace the gooseneck, or the mast extrusion when a
beefier  gooseneck is wrenched out, deforming the slot and leaving
shards of torn aluminum?

Looscrew had a gooseneck that was riveted on.  She's an older boat
(#165) so that may have been the original system.  When it failed, I
replaced it with an adjustable version from Catalina for about $50.  A
pair of thumbscrews allow the boom height to be adjusted in the slot.
Persistence has the same system and uses it to advantage when rigging an
oversized bimini to provide standing room on deck!