[Capri25] G-Series #6 Canceled

dallas johnson dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Fri Jun 18 07:20:51 CDT 2010

I'm listening to the news right now and that storm line yesterday produced 35 tornado sightings, a single day record for Minnesota. While we got lucky, it was a potent storm line with much more than rain. The radar was not telling us the full story.

Each skipper needs to decide if they can or should race, it's there personal responsibility. But the same rule also applies to the RC boat, and we don't question their decisions regarding their personal safety. I didn't like Blake's decision at the time, but I watched the florescent green color of the sky later in the evening and was glad to not be on the water.

The first thing I learned at WYC (from the Bert-n-Ernie show) was that you never make a call on "sailing vs not sailing" until you're at the dock and it's time to setup the boat. So, yes, Blake could have done an onshore postponement and that entire routine; that may have been preferable. But his decision to notify us earlier was out of courtesy, and was simply his effort to best serve the overall needs of our racers (and Thursdays are about more than just racing...).

We have the best club racing RC in the country (and I'm not just saying that), so I'll give them this one hair split.

Sincerely,
dallas
     Wayzata Yacht Club
      WYC Commodore