[Capri25] Capri 25 Mainsheet Magazine Tech editor looking for writers...

Dan McNamara mcnamara at visi.com
Sat Apr 20 21:25:25 CDT 2013

All my suggestion for fixing a design flaw simply and for less money were deemed against the rules by our fleet rules committee.  Repairing the keel / hull and compression post area the way allowed is a hell I would not wish on anyone.

Don't run aground
On dry land drill inspection holes through the false floor.
Keep it dry
inspect your tailor pads
if you pick up your boat and it lifts off the pads before the keel support you are already damaged
once you have your mast up
below deck sting a line between your cain plates and make a mark on your compression post
Pull your backstay on full
see how much the compression post goes down
if you can measure it with a ruler your boat is already sinking.
Just a matter of how fast..
When it does grab your, motor, gas and battery so you don't have to send a diver for them
fill out the scuttling form

create an account to see the pictures
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=119553

If you can't tell by now I am very jaded about the lack of vision our rules committee has regarding keeping Capri 25 sail boat racing:  safe, fun, and affordable.  The reason these boats are cheep is they are poorly designed in the area all the loads aggregate and there is not a easy way to inspect or repair it.

The new rule that sets the minimum weight for an anchor to 8 pounds (excluding tackle) is another example of this.  Another rule that is not about safety, fun or affordability.  This spring when your anchor is weighed without tackle attached (shackle or chain) and it is a 1/4 pound shy of 8 pounds, have fun buying a new one for between $40 and $140.  If it was about safe, fun, and affordable, the rule would read a minimum of 8 pounds +/- ? including tackle but not road.  That way if you are a quarter pound light you can add some chain for $3 and be safer.  Someone with a 5 pound anchor and 3 pounds of chain has more holding power than a 8 pound with no chain (safe, fun, and affordable).

http://www.ehow.com/how_5928950_size-anchor-chain.html

Only one other boat voted for my proposed ammendment and a rule that is less safe, fun and affordable passed instead.

For a fleet that doesn't act on most of my suggestion, why do you keep asking for them?

Dan