[Capri25] Capri 25 Mainsheet Magazine Tech editor looking for writers...

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Mon Apr 22 17:36:58 CDT 2013

Hi all,

I saw were people were having difficulties with these old Capri 25's and
their keel's. Do not feel you are alone in this problem. All old Sonars need
to have their keel repaired and it's not cheap. Carmella and I had to have
Sesame Street repaired last fall by Tim at Shorewood Yacht Club. It was
expensive.

Carmella has told me a story that when she was a partner in Ham It up, they
needed keel repair. They took at the white bear boat works. Carmella tells
the story that they emailed her that they had built a wooden box out of two
by fours in which they could drop the keel and then effect the repairs up
inside. She said she got an email from them saying that, "we dropped the
keel today and the earth trembled".

I have below put a link To the Sonar website so you can look at their rules,
and I have put some of the sonar rules in red below

Regards,

Bert

Some of the Sonar rules;

see http://www.sonar.org/

One throwable flotation device such as a cushion or ring with
positive buoyancy of not less than 3 kg.
(iii) One hand bailer or bucket of not less than 6 liters capacity.
(iv) One hand bilge pump.
(v) One anchor of not less than 3.6 kg in weight and with not less than
30 m of continuous line of not less than 8 mm in diameter

C.5.2 MAINTENANCE
Routine maintenance such as painting and polishing is permitted without re-
measurement and re-certification.
C.5.3 FITTINGS
Fittings type, quantity and placement shall be in conformance with Section
D.
C.5.4 LIMITATIONS
(a) Application of fillers to the hull for fairing is prohibited, except
within 70
mm of the bailers.
(b) Sanding on the hull is permitted to the extent that the laminates shall
not
be exposed.
(c) The hull may be repaired provided that the shape, structure and
characteristics of the original are not altered.
C.6 HULL APPENDAGES
C.6.1 DIMENSIONS
The keel and rudder dimensions shall be in compliance with Section E.
C.6.2 MAINTENANCE
Routine maintenance such as painting and polishing is permitted without re-
measurement and re-certification.
C.6.3 KEEL SUMP REPAIR
The sump may be reinforced by the two following methods:
(a) Two panels of either marine plywood or glass fiber may be fitted into
the
base of the keel sump and extending up to within 25 mm of the cockpit
floor. The panels may span completely across space available running
awartships. The panels may be attached with glass fiber to the sides. Final
panel thickness shall not exceed 18 mm. Holes or spaces shall be left in
the panels to allow any water to flow from one side to the other so that
bailing may be unimpeded. The panels shall not interfere with access to
the keel bolts or cause chafe on lifting slings.
(b) Layers of glass fiber may be laid up on the port and starboard sides of
the
keel sump. The additional layers shall not exceed 5 mm in thickness.
C.6.4 LIMITATIONS
(a) The rudder blade and keel may be faired to the limits of the
measurements specified in section E. The application of fillers is
permitted.
(b) Sanding the keel for fairing is permitted to the extent that the lead
shall
not be exposed.
(c) Sanding the rudder for fairing is permitted to the extent that the
laminate
shall not be exposed.