[J22-Fleet 1] Kattack Discussion

dallas dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Tue Apr 17 14:11:05 UTC 2007

As you may know, I've been doing some work for Kattack. So I'll answer a few of the questions I've heard out there.

How Does it work in 2007: WYC will handle the race creation logistics for all regular season races. The only thing you need to do is provide the race tracking data for your boat when you race. Turn the GPS on, collect the data, give it to the appropriate person at the clubhouse afterwards for a 6 second data download, done.

Subscriptions: This has been made simple. A full Kattack 12 month subscription is $50 if the fleet registers en masse now. Once online subscriptions are up and running (soon), it will be $100 for individual subscriptions. Subscriptions are only needed if you want to watch at home (or more likely work).

Compatibility: Garmin units allow quick data downloads (6 seconds). Other brands require an intermediate computer program to convert the data into a standard GPx format. While this can be done quickly and easily, it's going to require a laptop and will seriously cut into beer time. Considering how cheap a new Garmin GPS with a USB port is ($200), it's probably easier to replace than bother with the hassles.

Protests: Kattack has asked the WYC protest committee to not allow Kattack in the room, but it's ultimately their decision. I think the fleet could also write a fleet rule for whatever you want.

Buying a GPS Unit: Yes, it's a hassle. Unfortunately it's not practical for Kattack to supply GPS units nationwide for weekly racing programs. Considering the average WYC sailor spends about $150 per race on their programs, the cost of a $200 GPS unit is pretty cheap considering the payback in personal coaching and knowledge.
http://www.kattack.com/Support/HardwareRequirements/tabid/62/Default.aspx

Cool Regatta: Right now, it doesn't look like we'll have critical mass for Kattack tracking at the Cool Regatta. As a racer, that bums me out because the Cool is supposed to be one of our big deal regattas. If the fleet wants Kattack at the Cool we need to know people are planning to participate.

What to Do:
- If you'd like to get the $50 subscription deal, e-mail me or George saying you're in. (we'll handle enrollment later)
- If you're planning to provide GPS data, but not subscribe, it would also be helpful to know.
- I'm happy to answer any Kattack questions.
- Talk to George and let him know you plan to participate.  ghansen at digitalriver.com

dj
dallas at dallasjohnson.net