[J22-Fleet 1] J22 Fleet Meeting

Kevin Kenny kevinpkenny at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 12:02:30 CDT 2009

Fun seeing people at the J22 Fleet Meeting on Saturday.  Thanks for everyone who helped make it happen - John, Kristin and everyone else who helped !!

In attempt to keep the rules conversation brief, we forgot to mention a new term in the 2009 Sailing Rules:  Mark-Room - Room for a boat to sail to the mark, and then room to sail her proper course while at the mark... In a nutshell:
- If boats are overlapped at the zone, outside boat shall give the inside boat mark-room.  [P.S. If inside boat is also a right of way boat, then outside boat shall also keep clear (i.e. tactical rounding).]
- If a boat is clear ahead at the zone, the boat clear astern shall give clear ahead boat mark-room.

This email is meant only as a basic intro of the new rules to avoid misunderstandings on the water.  The rules have nuances.  See Rules book for full language and I recommend Dave Perry's book as it is very comprehensive.

Kevin

Kevin Kenny
kevinpkenny at yahoo.com