[Sonar] Split Traveller

Reding, Barth Barth.Reding at bestbuy.com
Tue Feb 20 12:23:41 CST 2007

A very strong and easy to untie knot suitable to the application being
discussed is the double figure eight.  There are two ways to tie it, one
with the loop free, the other with the loop through an object.

The easiest way is tying it free, Fold the line over on it's self about
6 - 12 inches from the end.  With both parts tie a standard figure eight
stopper knot leaving a loop on the end.

When tying it through something tie a single figure eight knot 6-12
inches up from the end.  Lead the line through the object then retrace
the first figure eight with the bitter end so it looks like the knot
tied above.

As with all knots it is vitally important to smooth and snug up the knot
before use.

To untie, "Break the knots back" by pushing on curving parts of the
knot, alternating from one end to the other.

See http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm  for pictures. (googled
double figure eight knot)

Barth Reding