[Sonar] RE: Galveston team race and some advice from Steve Shepstone

Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com Thomas_M_Brown at bluecrossmn.com
Tue Feb 20 12:45:37 CST 2007

Well,  you can tell from the email activity that the weather is finally
turning to spring.

The team race regatta  (3 boats to a team) looks like its pretty firm for
the first weekend in April in Galveston Bay.     Right now it appears that
we have 1.5 teams from WYC together.   We could probably use 3 other crew
members.

Boats will be provided as well as there is a casita large enough to sleep
9  (three teams) close to the YC.   The club has 17 Sonars.

As it looks right now,   we'll arrive on the 31st of March (Sat).    Sail
April 1 and 2.         This fits with the typical MN spring break
schedule.

Marty is willing to drive is van down and we'll probably put some sails in
the van as well.     The van holds 9 but not sure if we'll fill it to that
extent for that length of trip.

In turn for the boats,   we'll plan a team race event sometime during
August or perhaps Sept with the Capri event and we'll provide the boats to
the Galveston team.

We can talk more about this at our March 3 get together.

If you look at the picture of Steve Shepstone's boat,   you'll notice that
there is a re-enforcing bolt that goes from the bottom of the main sheet
block pad attached to the traveller down through the bottom of the
cockpit.    Steve was emphatic that this was a very important part of the
system.     I know that I've been on a couple of Sonars in the fleet that
have this pad which just gets the bejeebers torqued out of it in a heavy
breeze without the reenforcing bar.    I'll find out where Steve got this
piece since it appears to be an add on.    Not sure if it comes on the
Ontario boats but I don't remember seeing it.

Thomas Brown
~~~~~~~_/) ~ _/)~~~~~~

"Reding, Barth" <Barth.Reding at bestbuy.com>
Sent by: sonar-bounces at lists.wyc.org
02/20/2007 12:23 PM

<sonar at lists.wyc.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [Sonar] Split Traveller

A very strong and easy to untie knot suitable to the application being
discussed is the double figure eight.  There are two ways to tie it, one
with the loop free, the other with the loop through an object.

The easiest way is tying it free, Fold the line over on it's self about 6
- 12 inches from the end.  With both parts tie a standard figure eight
stopper knot leaving a loop on the end.

When tying it through something tie a single figure eight knot 6-12 inches
up from the end.  Lead the line through the object then retrace the first
figure eight with the bitter end so it looks like the knot tied above.

As with all knots it is vitally important to smooth and snug up the knot
before use.

To untie, "Break the knots back" by pushing on curving parts of the knot,
alternating from one end to the other.

See http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm  for pictures. (googled
double figure eight knot)

Barth Reding