[Sonar] 2 Subjects to Think About

Bert Foster Bert at apexq.com
Tue Dec 30 23:12:55 UTC 2008

Hi Fleet #5,

Sonar North American Championship Regatta in 2010
I have been communicating with my good friend, Rick Doerr, who is
President of the Sonar Class Association (SCA).  Rick is the
Paralympic Sonar Sailor who beat us in the Paralympic Trials in
Newport, and who we sailed against in every regatta (15) for 2
years.  The SCA holds a North American Championship Regatta each year
except a year when the Sonar World Championship is in North America,
and they like to have the NA out in the midwest every few years to
help the class grow from being just an east coast boat.

The Sonar World Championship is at the American YC in Rye NY in Oct.
2009.  Therefore, the next NA regatta will be in Sept-Oct 2010, and
could be in the midwest.  I have put a bid in for Fleet #5 and the
WYC to be selected.  Some of this was based on the extreme success of
both the J-22 and J-24 NAs.  Of course this will depend on whether or
not Fleet #5 wants to hold it and do all the work.  JR has
volunteered to be the regatta chairman and both Ernie and I will help
a lot as we are retired.  However, the entire fleet has to want to do
it or it won't work.  I could be a lot of fun and a big event for
us.  We could hold it right after the Star of the North so, an east
coast boat could drag out here and sail 2 regattas and fly home in
between.  We haven't been chosen yet and our Fleet has decided they
want to do it.  So, think about it.

Sonar Fleet And Dry Sailing (lifts)
I'm requesting Fleet #5 to approve dry sailing beginning in 2009.  I
requesting this because I think it would be good for the fleet to
come into the modern world.  My recent experience with dry sailing
around the country, my recent experience with Captain Hook, what goes
on at the WYC with other fleets dry sailing, and the new dock systems
coming to the WYC has lead me to believe we should do it.  We now
have a number of sailors who travel to regattas and you can't have
competitive boat speed it your boat has been in the water at the WYC
with VC 17 on its bottom.  Its true that boat speed isn't as
important on an inland lake with shifting winds as it is in coastal
waters and big waves.  Therefore, the possible boat speed difference
on Minnetonka between dry and wet sailed boats in not as
critical.  Speed differential no where near as much as new
sails.  So, lets make it a personal choice.

Lets discuss it.

Regards,
Bert

Bert Foster, Skipper