[Sonar] 2 Subjects to Think About

Green, Allan AGreen at Mendota-Insurance.Com
Mon Jan 5 16:39:59 UTC 2009

'Believe' votes no to lifts but understands the need to foster a culture
where fleet 5 can send credible representatives to off-site regattas.
This need is in conflict with the need to keep the barriers to Sonar and
WYC membership low. I feel the question the fleet needs to resolve is
that now that we have grown to an approximately a 20 boat fleet have we
reached a size that we can switch the priority from membership to level
of performance?

If the answer is yes then we need to push to get more fleet boats ready
to compete against outside boats both on local and foreign waters
(investing in equipment like lifts and personnel).

If the answer is no then we need to keep pushing to make more quality
boats available while still keeping the barriers to entry as low as
possible.

It seems the effect of Bert's proposal would be to set up a JV/Varsity
situation where there would be slightly different rules for the
'traveling' team. I'm not against this concept but we need to have the
numbers to support the shift and it should be a conscious decision by
the fleet.

IMHO we need to be patient and keep the focus on growth.

Allan

P.S. Sorry to miss the party...